Ok troubleshooting wizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

George,

I think you have a handle on what I'm trying to convey. Your drawing is close, there is no marina sub panel. Transformer is over 100' from the service and the service is about 150' from the ramp.

The ramp is attached to a wooden fixed pier and rests on a wooden floating dock. It is not in contact with the water. The "tingle" was felt when reaching in the water while holding on to the ramp.

As far as Larry's comment about the possiblility of the water being the source of the voltage, I considered that but believe the utility neutral is the actuall culprit. Now, whether the service lateral has a leakage or the ICW is just a pretty good path to the substation is up in the air.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
winnie said:
Hmm. I would think that if the big chunk of aluminium were making a low resistance path to the water and earth, then there would have to be very good contact between the aluminium and the water, and thus very little voltage difference between the two. My _guess_ is that the aluminium is _insulated_ from the water, say by plastic floats, and that someone touching both the ramp and the water effectively completes the circuit.
I was thinking more about this, and you have a good point. (You also have an intellectual edge on me. :D )

However, the ramp submerged in water should have the same "shell" effect as a ground rod, shouldn't it? There would be voltage drop as you get further and further from the energized ramp (assuming it's in direct contact with the water).

shellsinwater.jpg

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
hardworkingstiff said:
Your drawing is close, there is no marina sub panel.
So much for my future gig as Ms. Cleo. :D

The ramp is attached to a wooden fixed pier and rests on a wooden floating dock. It is not in contact with the water. The "tingle" was felt when reaching in the water while holding on to the ramp.
Well, that makes my last post (and doodle) pointless, but I can accept that. :)

So, is it likely to become energized by the wiring on the dock, or something? Can you safely remove the bond, or is it required for other reasons?

Now, whether the service lateral has a leakage or the ICW is just a pretty good path to the substation is up in the air.
Is it? With the main off, there should be no neutral current, right? So it would have to come from the utility, I think...?

hardworkingstiff

georgestolz said:
So, is it likely to become energized by the wiring on the dock, or something? Can you safely remove the bond, or is it required for other reasons?

They (AHJ) require us to bond the ramp since it has wiring suspended from it going from the fixed pier to the floating dock (for the lights and GFCI receptacles, remember, no shore power for boats on this dock).

Is it? With the main off, there should be no neutral current, right? So it would have to come from the utility, I think...?

I think so too. The only way I believe it could be coming from the ICW is if the utility grounding is a better path to the substation (which it should be) and the ICW has a voltage leaking onto it from another source that has less than adequate grounding or voltage leakage.

e57

Might be interesting to see what it all looks like on a scope.... DC/AC portions, and Hz. If you have a very sensitive amp clamp, you may be able to determine the direction of the current. And a good way to tell if it is realy your neutral / main bonding connection is to disconnect it, as you did already, and use a refereance rod somewhere outside to path to the panel and see if there is anything there....

As for putting an electrode in the water... Thats called electric fishing, and is illegal in most countries. :rolleyes:

Jon, I would doubt gavanic action, as it is measured in AC only so far.

For the record, I have seen simular problems within single (large) buildings. (Isolated building steel or footings.)

Last edited:

hillbilly

I've read all of the posts, given my opinion once, and here's another.
I believe that the voltage that you're seeing is coming from the grounding conductor that is bonded to the ramp. The potential is originating at the main panel where the grounded (neutral) and grounding conductor are bonded together.
The resistance between the water (earth) and the aluminum ramp is low enough (when the person completes the circuit) that current is flowing thru the grounding conductor and into the water.
The problem (IMO) is a loose or corroded connection or high resistance on the grounded (neutral) feeding the ramp panel and could be anywhere from the POCO transformer to the final connection at the ramp panel. The termination of the grounded (neutral) supplying the dock panel and the grounding conductor (ramp, person and water) are nearing the same resistance to earth, so ub-balanced current is returning through a parallel path (the ramp and water) to earth.
I believe that driving a ground rod at the dock panel and bonding to the panel (and the grounding wire to the dock) will eliminate (or greatly reduce) the potential between the dock and the water.
Just my 2 cents.
steve

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Here is a revised doodle.
hillbilly said:
The problem...could be anywhere from the POCO transformer to the final connection at the ramp panel.
But the voltage doesn't disappear when the service disconnect is off.

Edit to add: (My point is, I believe he has isolated the problem only to the neutral on the line side of the service disconnecting means. It could conceivably be an inch or a mile from that point. It could be on the line side of the POCO transformer; I don't see how we could be more specific than that the info at hand. That's my only point on this.)

I believe that driving a ground rod at the dock panel and bonding to the panel (and the grounding wire to the dock) will eliminate (or greatly reduce) the potential between the dock and the water.
(Lou has corrected us, there is no sub-panel at the marina, but I'm only mentioning that to clarify, not to hound you.)

If he were to drive a ground rod at the shore nearest the pier, and connect the ramp to that, I would consider it a band-aid to the problem. Trying to bring the earth up to the higher potential isn't a good idea, IMO. Even if the effects were temporarily disguised, then there is a chance that down the road the 1.9V that's been hidden could increase to, say, 8 or 9V, and then the problem will be back, IMO.

Just two cents I borrowed from somebody else, with interest. :)

I'd really be wanting to lose that bond if there is no reasonable chance of energization. If not, the blocker (if that's what it's designed to do, for sure for sure). That's my advice, for what it's worth (only four years experience, and never with this).

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

georgestolz said:

If he were to drive a ground rod at the shore nearest the pier, and connect the ramp to that, I would consider it a band-aid to the problem.

George, the revised doodle is "spot on".

I agree that the ground rod might just be a band-aid. I have the same concerns as you. I believe the PoCo will report everything is OK with their stuff, and that will leave me no choice but to drive the ground rod.

I will take the ground rod conductor back to the service though, and not to the ramp. If there will be current flow from the service to the ground rod, I'd rather it not go through the ramp if possible.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Winni's idea about by Galvanic corrosion remains noteworthy to me; even if electrolysis does not produce alternating current, AC plumbing bonds has produced corrosion by electrolysis, and an inspection for corrosion of the aluminum ramp may be worthwile.

In the mid 1980's, during periodic maintenance of aircraft we found galvanic corrosion --a white powdery substance-- rapidly developing on aluminum fittings inside pylons and other areas exposed to atmospheric moisture. The last time I recognized that same white powder was under the hood of a SAAB, which used the same rubber-sleeved alumium, wire-harness clamps I had seen on those F-15's.

Last edited:

hillbilly

georgestolz said:

But the voltage doesn't disappear when the service disconnect is off.

Edit to add: (My point is, I believe he has isolated the problem only to the neutral on the line side of the service disconnecting means. It could conceivably be an inch or a mile from that point. It could be on the line side of the POCO transformer; I don't see how we could be more specific than that the info at hand. That's my only point on this.)

(Lou has corrected us, there is no sub-panel at the marina, but I'm only mentioning that to clarify, not to hound you.)

If he were to drive a ground rod at the shore nearest the pier, and connect the ramp to that, I would consider it a band-aid to the problem. Trying to bring the earth up to the higher potential isn't a good idea, IMO. Even if the effects were temporarily disguised, then there is a chance that down the road the 1.9V that's been hidden could increase to, say, 8 or 9V, and then the problem will be back, IMO.

Just two cents I borrowed from somebody else, with interest. :)

I'd really be wanting to lose that bond if there is no reasonable chance of energization. If not, the blocker (if that's what it's designed to do, for sure for sure). That's my advice, for what it's worth (only four years experience, and never with this).

Apparently I've been mistaken in how I thought the electrical feed to the ramp is installed. All along I thought there was a "device" between the main panel and the ramp. This device being a box with a receptacle, small panel, etc., and that this is where the grounding wire for the aluminum ramp was bonded.
That aside...The main doesn't disconnect the Grounded conductor, right?
George is right that the problem could be a "inch or a mile" from ramp. My point in stating "from the POCO transformer" is because I understand the problem to be "site specific" without any neighbors reporting problems with their electrical service.
Equipped with this new (to me) information, This (IMO) is causing the problem.
I still believe that the electrical potential from ramp to water via the grounding conductor is coming from the Grounded (neutral). The problem is apparently caused by a defective neutral return from main panel to the POCO transformer or the Neutral and grounding conductors have somehow joined and are making contact at or close to the dock.
Since the current can't (fully) return via the neutral to the utility, it's returning via a parallel path through the grounding conductor, to the ramp, and then to the earth (water).
Have you checked for continuity (downstream) between the Neutral and the Grounding conductor (check at the main with both wires disconnected)? There shouldn't be any.
If there is continuity, you need to locate the connection and seperate them.
If the neutral and ground are connected or touching in one of the light fixtures (or receptacles) it can cause your problem.
If there is no continuity, I would also visually inspect every inch of the Grounded service conductor from the main panel back to the POCO transformer. IMHO, the problem lies in one of these two areas.
That is apparantly a pretty low resistance path between the water and the ramp when a person in the water touches the ramp.
I'm not so sure that this problem isn't pretty widespread if the dock is metal and bonded to a service neutral. Since there are lights mounted on it, it has to be bonded.
These type of feeds may need oversize ground and neutral conductors to minimize the resistance of the returns to the service ground. This would prevent (or greatly reduce) the current from seeking a parallel return path.
This is OHM's Law at it's finest.
Is all of the circuit GFI protected? Or are the GFI receptacles fed thru without protecting anything downstream? What I'm asking is "will the lights still operate with all of the GFI's tripped?
I'm up to 4 cents worth now. My opinion (and that's all this post is) is still a bargain since it's free.
steve

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
hillbilly said:
That aside...The main doesn't disconnect the Grounded conductor, right?

My point in stating "from the POCO transformer" is because I understand the problem to be "site specific" without any neighbors reporting problems with their electrical service.
Since this premises Service Disconnect does (should) shut off all the L-L and L-N loads served by this service, then it shouldn't be possible that the stray neutral voltage wandering around is created on the same premises. There would be no power travelling through loads, getting onto the neutral and getting lost at some point.

Since the Service Disconenct doesn't (or shouldn't) disconnect the neutral, then the utility still has an electrical path onto the premises through the neutral.

With the disconnect off (no neutral current being generated onsite) and voltage present from the GES to the water, then the most likely culprit is indeed off site, or at least ahead of the Service Disconnect's Neutral, right?

I'm not trying to fight, just to understand where you're coming from. I still am not comfortable with the image I have in my head of how the electrons are flowing around. I can't envision how this is happening fully. But I'd bet at least 75 cents that neutral current from offsite is what's presenting this voltage.

hillbilly

I'm not trying to fight you on this George. You're correct, the voltage could be coming from the POCO neutral at any point, even a mile or more away. According to the OP, the POCO seems to think that this problem is originating on his equipment, so I was attacking it from that angle. The only way that his neutral could have electrical potential with his main turned off is if the main breaker (or telephone system or catv) was leaking current. Ever heard of that happening? We're talking low voltages here.
I may be all wet, so I won't touch the ramp.
12 cents and counting.
steve

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Steve,
The only way that his neutral could have electrical potential with his main turned off is if the main breaker (or telephone system or catv) was leaking current.
I don't agree. The utility ties the primary and secondary neutrals together. Voltage to earth from the neutral with the service disconnect off is a measurement of the voltage drop on the utility primary and secondary neutral.
Don

hardworkingstiff

don_resqcapt19 said:
Steve,

I don't agree. The utility ties the primary and secondary neutrals together. Voltage to earth from the neutral with the service disconnect off is a measurement of the voltage drop on the utility primary and secondary neutral.
Don

Don,

Do you have any insight as to where the fix is? If it is a voltage drop, then where is the "fix".

I think driving the ground rod (nearer the ramp) is what will happen. I just think the PoCo should do it and take it to there transformer, but something tells me they won't.

I just ordered a Ronk blocker today for an installatin at a swimming pool that I have traced back to the main three phase feeder and the voltage didn't go away after killing all taps going into the subdivision. Boss and I figured it would be cheaper to install the blocker than for us to keep tracing this problem. Will let you know how it works, prolly be a week or two before it comes in though.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Do you have any insight as to where the fix is? If it is a voltage drop, then where is the "fix".
I'm not sure there is a code compliant "fix". I don't see how additional ground rods will solve the problem. They only raise the voltage of the earth for a few feet around the rod.
Don

Smart $

Esteemed Member
don_resqcapt19 said:
...I don't see how additional ground rods will solve the problem. They only raise the voltage of the earth for a few feet around the rod.
Don
At the shoreline? I would think that a ground rod or rods at the shoreline would have a lot lower impedance to ground than those that are a good distance away... but I have no way to prove that theory at my current location :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Smart $ said:
At the shoreline? I would think that a ground rod or rods at the shoreline would have a lot lower impedance to ground than those that are a good distance away... but I have no way to prove that theory at my current location :D
Smart, look at this picture:

touch.gif

A ground rod directly energized by 120 VAC cannot bring the earth to an equal potential immediately surrounding it. A ground rod driven in the shore 30' away from the ramp has no hope of bringing the potential of the water up to the potential of the ramp.

The ramp is +1.9 VAC. The water is 0 VAC. Driving a ground rod in the shore will not affect these readings (much).

As long as the ramp has potential, there will be a difference between the ramp and the water.

Right about now, you're probably thinking I'm missing the point; that the ground rod is a good path to ground and can easily dissipate a mere 1.9 volts. But to say that is to forget that electricity is seeking any path to it's source, not just the one we'd most desire. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.