Old 2 conductor wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlow

Question about 2 prong receptacles. Just had inspection done. Old house has some wiring without ground. 3 prong receptacles were installed but inspector wants to install 2 prong back. What is the code on that matter? Can you have 3 prong with 2 wires. Or maybe I need to install GFCI as a solution? I don't think installing 2 prong is the solution and advantage to new home owners?

benaround

Highlow,

The one thing that you can't do is make the customer think they have a 3 wire outlet

when they only have a 2 wire outlet.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
What is the code on that matter?
Read 406.3. There's a lot there.

The grounding type receptacle, when installed on wires that don't provide an equipment ground, gives an illusion of safety. From a legal standpoint, if something goes wrong that should have shorted to ground and tripped the breaker, and it didn't 'cause no equipment ground is present, and a mishap occurs, then there's a problem.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Read 406.3. There's a lot there.

The grounding type receptacle, when installed on wires that don't provide an equipment ground, gives an illusion of safety. From a legal standpoint, if something goes wrong that should have shorted to ground and tripped the breaker, and it didn't 'cause no equipment ground is present, and a mishap occurs, then there's a problem.

Thats why code requires the "No equipment ground" sticker:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Make the total rewire sell !:)

Around here many of the older homes with 2-prong receptacles are wired in AC cable so a total rewire is unnecessary. That's why I asked about the wiring method. All they need to do is install self grounding 3-prong receptacles. :)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
You will notice that 2 hole receptacles are still available because of the existence of 2 wire cable. Putting a grounding receptacle on a non grounding cable is no different than using the cheapie adapter things except that with the adapters it is clear that there is no grounding conductor.

ItsHot

metallic sheathing

metallic sheathing

Around here many of the older homes with 2-prong receptacles are wired in AC cable so a total rewire is unnecessary. That's why I asked about the wiring method. All they need to do is install self grounding 3-prong receptacles. :)
Because the metallic sheathing quaulifies as the ground?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Because the metallic sheathing quaulifies as the ground?

Does it?

Does anyone know for sure that the sheathing was listed for use at the time of installation, installed properly and has not been compromised in any fashion since the time of installation?

Now any metallic flexible cable must have a 'drain wire' for it to qualify as a grounding method. To me, that indicates that some problems arose along the way by allowing the use of flex alone for grounding.

Also, and this is important, surge arrestors won't work without a grounding conductor to shunt the surges to, even if they are fed with a GFCI that allows the use of the third conductor.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Just where is the "No equipment ground" sticker supposed to be placed?
Most of the flat surface area on GFCI receptacle is already in use.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Some of the boxes are too shallow. Can I use GFCI breaker?

If it's an old house with Knob & Tube wiring, the Neutral wires and the Hot wires may not have a one to one relationship. So a GFCI breaker may not be a happy puppy.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also, and this is important, surge arrestors won't work without a grounding conductor to shunt the surges to, even if they are fed with a GFCI that allows the use of the third conductor.
Not necessarily. Surge protection limits voltage between any two conductors, and doesn't 'send the surge into the ground.'

Most surge protectors clamp surge voltage from H-N, H-G, and N-G. The hot-to-ground clamping works even with no EGC.

e57

Whats so wrong with 2-prong outlets? In a residential situation there are relatively few items that even have a ground prong..... Computer, some kitchen equipment... :roll: Leviton has some decora 2-prongs.... Except Kit's and baths, as well as outside or the computer equipment - whats the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.