Outbid by Big Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

I looked at a kitchen and priced it accordingly then I got the call, when the Orange guys were measuring for the cabinets they estimated the plumbing and the electric also and his price was lower.

For some reason I didn't know the Depot did this kind of work but hey...its a learning experience. I told the guy beware of up sells and have a lovely time. Does the Orange offer any kind of electrical work or just kitchens?

Buck Parrish

Yeah, I've had to go behind them.
I was going to say they suck. But I won't because this is a public forum.
You are talking about a Syracuse fans place, right ? Oh , make sure they get a permit.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mr electric has a nationwide contract w/ HD for stores within occupied territories.

not sure how HD handles it for stores that don't have a mr electric in their area. sounds like each store may find their own EC to work with if they don't have a mr elec.

HD offers financing for installation services; it helps them sell products and they take a little off the top of the install price. they're trying to make a profit just like any other business. what's the problem?

brian john

I know you are way smarter than to think this will have ANY impact on their decisions.

Has nothing to do with their bottom line it has to do with making a statement. If you belong to ABC or NECA, get them to work with you filing a letter of complaint to HD, stating your possible objections.

When the local utility wanted to start doing maintenance and testing I complained, luckily they screwed the pooch hiring residential contractors to do testing and maintenance, that did not last long.

Gotta stand up even if you think no one listening, you might just get heard.

And as Larry said............

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Would you buy materials with a mark-up from a competitor?

when you say buying with a markup, i assume you mean vs buying from a "wholesale house".

although we buy 99% of our materials from the wholesale house, HD is cheaper on the residential stuff, including copper, than the "wholesale" house.

not by much, but they are cheaper.

and if you don't like people getting services through HD, do some advertising; let them know you're out there also.

I know in our city people rarely, and i mean rarely, use the HD installation services. but like i said before, the main draw to it is the ability to finance the job with them.

Has nothing to do with their bottom line it has to do with making a statement. If you belong to ABC or NECA, get them to work with you filing a letter of complaint to HD, stating your possible objections.

When the local utility wanted to start doing maintenance and testing I complained, luckily they screwed the pooch hiring residential contractors to do testing and maintenance, that did not last long.

Gotta stand up even if you think no one listening, you might just get heard.

And as Larry said............

I could not agree more.

"ya can't win it if you ain't in it"

ceb58

I looked at a kitchen and priced it accordingly then I got the call, when the Orange guys were measuring for the cabinets they estimated the plumbing and the electric also and his price was lower.

For some reason I didn't know the Depot did this kind of work but hey...its a learning experience. I told the guy beware of up sells and have a lovely time. Does the Orange offer any kind of electrical work or just kitchens?

I would have to ask. How can some one who is there to measure for cabinets give an price on the plumbing and elect.?
My meaning behind the question is this and I know it differs from state to state. In NC the law states that you must be a licensed elect. contractor to offer or engage in the business of electrical contracting. I am sure the language is similar to the same for plumbing.
Now for some one who is not licensed it would be illegal to even offer a price for electrical services.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
I would think HD is acting as an agent for the contractors they are under contract with. They have been doing this for several years in my area. It started with installing ceiling fans, then generators, and now kitchen reno's. They do the same thing with AC units.

mark32

At the HD I work there is an electrical contractor (Not Mr. Electric) that we are supoose to get leads for, they handle a number of other HD's in the area too. They do fans but they really want us to push generator installs. As was said earlier, customers around here only ocassionally ask for such services, most seem more interested in solar installs, that's another contractor's contract :)

kwired

Electron manager
I would have to ask. How can some one who is there to measure for cabinets give an price on the plumbing and elect.?
My meaning behind the question is this and I know it differs from state to state. In NC the law states that you must be a licensed elect. contractor to offer or engage in the business of electrical contracting. I am sure the language is similar to the same for plumbing.
Now for some one who is not licensed it would be illegal to even offer a price for electrical services.

How is this any different than a general contractor subbing the electrical work?

As far as competing with HD, yes it stinks. But you are already in competetion with handymen, homowners, and others without much electrical knowledge. You need to market what you do and do it well and not worry about the others. Satisfied customers will return and refer you to others even if you cost a little more than someone they were not happy with.

If losing a kitchen remodel is very upsetting you really need to look at your business a little harder. I lose jobs all the time because I don't have time to do them (per the customers timeline anyway). I don't like to lose some of this work but if I already have something more profitable going on I will turn it down, and customers in general are happy that I am honest in telling them I can't do it at the time they want it done. Occasionaly I get called back at a later time because they could not find anyone to do the job and it still needs to be done.

brian john

What Scott said.

I am not, believe me the squeky wheel gets noticed, I'd not sit by and just let it happen.

I am a letter writer and always notify business when I recieve excellent service and will on ocassion complain about their lousy service, this in my opinion is lousy service.

They are allowed to do this and IMO it is a wise choice for HD. But at a minimum I'd let my feeling be heard.

mtfallsmikey

Well, I just had an HVAC contr. come in to bid on 2 water-source heat pump installs, will include all wiring, they have a licensed electrician on their staff. I want a turnkey job with a minimum of hassles. Had an EC just bid on installing 2 unit heaters too...

growler

How is this any different than a general contractor subbing the electrical work?

It's not any different than a general contractor subbing electrical work. The question would be, is Home Depot a licensed general contractor?

If they hire a licensed general contractor to pull a permit for this job then everything is legal but if it's a homeowner permit then it's not because Home Depot would be the prime contractor and the others just subs and the homeowner would not be doing the work himself.

I think I would drive by that job just to see who has the permit.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Here in Louisiana you don't need a GC unless the job is over $75,000. All you need is a remodeler license. Sign a form, pay a fee and you are a remodeler. I don't get the complaints. HD is using trades people to do the work. It is not like they are grabbing the guy working on isle 5 and sending him out to do electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.