Paint spray on busbars

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

dcspector said:
Bob, Celtic and all,

I was not pointing fingers and as a former EC I would have inserted the cardboard......

I to have inserted cardboard but where does it stop. On a job not long ago there were gaps all around the junction boxes and no mud but the boxes were filled with mud. I have actually watched a finisher that was so stoned that he taped and finished over switch boxes. What do you do? Hang a little flag out of the boxes.

If the painter wasn't going to mask the panels then he should have notified the general contractor. It's wrong to destroy the work of others. Is everything perfect when you go to trim out a job, some effort is usually required. I some times have to trim tile away from boxes without destroying the tile man's work.

To many goons doing construction work. It is possible to take your brain to the job with you.

hillbilly

Just my opinion...but...part of the problem might be that most people are scared of electricity. A lot of people won't go near a open panel... period.
They don't know and can't check to see if it's live, so they just stay away.
I cover my panels, it only takes a minute.
steve

iwire

Staff member
hillbilly said:
Just my opinion...but...part of the problem might be that most people are scared of electricity. A lot of people won't go near a open panel... period.
They don't know and can't check to see if it's live, so they just stay away.
I cover my panels, it only takes a minute.
steve

Steve I don't follow.

If the cover is off, the panel is dead.

If the cover is on the painters better not be removing it.

Jim W in Tampa

iwire said:
Dumpster, painter to pay replacement costs.

Exactly.It's the only smart thing you can do.Any think you do to clean them voids your warranty.I went tru this several years ago.GC asked me to try to get the supply company to pay for the panel and breakers destroyed by arching and i told him with the paint on them they would not.Ended up in court because salesman said they would cover the bill and mfg refused.Painter was paid because they said they would warranty it.

celtic

dcspector said:
Celtic..... that grapic is funnier'n h***

Isn't the computer that seperates us from the ape ....or something completely different :D

We needed a little humor back there ;)

Last edited:

llverbeek

Frankly, I don't care what they do to make it right.. not my job.. it would need to be right for me to turn the darn building over.. glad to see the type of feedback offered here..

Jljohnson

I recently back-charged a painter $6800.00 to replace 6 panel interiors and 90 recessed can housings because they sprayed them. Local inspector insisted that all items be replaced. The painter was more than a little unhappy with me but I can almost gaurantee the next job gets EVERTHING masked off.

Jim W in Tampa

Jljohnson said:
I recently back-charged a painter $6800.00 to replace 6 panel interiors and 90 recessed can housings because they sprayed them. Local inspector insisted that all items be replaced. The painter was more than a little unhappy with me but I can almost gaurantee the next job gets EVERTHING masked off.

Sad to have to do that but they should know better.We recently beat the painter on a trim of an office.Guess they thought it cute to paint our receptacles and switches.No problems since then.Wonder how long it took to clean them
LOL

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
growler said:
If the painter wasn't going to mask the panels then he should have notified the general contractor. It's wrong to destroy the work of others. Is everything perfect when you go to trim out a job, some effort is usually required. I some times have to trim tile away from boxes without destroying the tile man's work.

To many goons doing construction work. It is possible to take your brain to the job with you.

I went to wire an island today and found that the plumber had smashed our 1" PVC to bits, then carefully put the broken off stub back on top of where it was busted. And they didn't hit it with just one nail -- no, they hit it twice. Nor did they have to put their nails where they did -- they could have moved the strip far enough to the left or right to still protect THEIR pipes and not smash ours to bits.

Jim W in Tampa

tallgirl said:
I went to wire an island today and found that the plumber had smashed our 1" PVC to bits, then carefully put the broken off stub back on top of where it was busted. And they didn't hit it with just one nail -- no, they hit it twice. Nor did they have to put their nails where they did -- they could have moved the strip far enough to the left or right to still protect THEIR pipes and not smash ours to bits.

Paybacks could be hell.LOL

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Jim W in Tampa said:
Paybacks could be hell.LOL

They already got theirs -- copper thieves snarfed a mess of their fittings recently. We're crossing our fingers they don't come back and remove any of our wiring ...

romeo

Paint spray on bussbars

Paint spray on bussbars

Call the inspector he will require that the panels be replaced. IMO there is no way to clean the bussbars and not void the listing.

dcspector

Yes. I am an Electrical Inspector in the District. I have always relied on this Forum for some background on some of my decisions (not all) and additional information before making a final call. I like to know across the Country others thoughts and reactions. Come Monday morning....unless the Siemens Manuf. rep.,etc. can come up with a "fix" they will dumpster and start over.

kbsparky

dcspector said:
Yes. I am an Electrical Inspector in the District....
Greg:

I have licenses in both MD and VA, but not in DC. What are the chances of DC establishing recriprocity with either or both of these?

When I was on the Board in Maryland, we met with the DC board on at least one occasion, but without any final resolution.

Can you offer any insight?

Jim W in Tampa

dcspector said:
Yes. I am an Electrical Inspector in the District. I have always relied on this Forum for some background on some of my decisions (not all) and additional information before making a final call. I like to know across the Country others thoughts and reactions. Come Monday morning....unless the Siemens Manuf. rep.,etc. can come up with a "fix" they will dumpster and start over.

I totally agree on your method of dealing with this.I rather dought they will want to risk the liability but your being fair as you can be.

dcspector

Thank You Jim, those are kind words. KBsparky. I will work on that and get some info to you. I have recently relocated here from the midwest and I am still going thru a "cultural shock" I am an "Educated Hillbilly" in a big city. I drive around on my days off in a FWD with the windows down and country music a blarin'.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.