panel chases

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

What is the danger with this type of installation?

servicepanel.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess we are looking at 312.5(C). I have never quite understood this exactly. I would say this is legit if (b) is satisfied. I am not sure if that is penetrating a structural ceiling.

Of course I am not sure (c) or (d) is followed either

Needess to say it is done quite often.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
I guess we are looking at 312.5(C). I have never quite understood this exactly. I would say this is legit if (b) is satisfied. I am not sure if that is penetrating a structural ceiling.

Of course I am not sure (c) or (d) is followed either

Needess to say it is done quite often.

You missed the part about it being surface mounted. A recessed panel does not fall under the exception.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
infinity said:
You missed the part about it being surface mounted. A recessed panel does not fall under the exception.
Oh yeah-- minor details....oops

Not many cables in that panel seems like it was more work to put in the sleeves then to just cut the wires in.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have seen a snake crawl thru the pvc and short across the buss bar. Ho called about her lights flickering. By the time I got there, a day or so latter, the smell was horrific.

If the end is sealed I can see no real danger. Heck I don't see much danger with the ends not sealed.

Similar discussion went on a few times about exterior panels with a coupling installed to the box on the bottom back. All the wires entered the panel in this method. I see it all around NC and I have not seen too many issues with it other than moisture when the fitting wasn't sealed.

jwelectric

Would the dissipation of heat be an issue?

Would the reference found in 334.80 be an issue?

I am trying to gather all the information I can on this type of installation both good and bad so please help.

benaround

Also, would 334.30 ( 2005 ) last sentence, negate 312.5(C) , this has come

up 2-3 times in the last 2 weeks.

I don't see where 334.80 has been violated. The 60deg rating is ok, and the

NM does not pass through wood, that needs fire or draft stopped. IMO

220/221

Yeah, kinda no different than the fire traveling through a snap-in bushing into the wall.

No way.

My snap ins are stuffed full of bundled cables so there is no room for fire.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Jim W in Tampa said:
Use to do this all the time,but it is misuse of male adapter.You will get tagged here.Also see it as a chimney if panel burns

Looks more like 2 chimneys in the picture. :D I don't like it myself, it will put the fire into the inside of the building envelope if it were to have a panel fire. That is assuming the ceiling is closed.

Jim W in Tampa

acrwc10 said:
Looks more like 2 chimneys in the picture. :D I don't like it myself, it will put the fire into the inside of the building envelope if it were to have a panel fire. That is assuming the ceiling is closed.

I have seen it happen.Matters not what started the fire,flames will go thru it and that insulation on the romex will keep it burning nice till the building catches.
I do think it made nice installs.

renosteinke

I don't like the practice, for two reasons: there is the protection the cables need against abrading against the end of the pipe, and there is no effective strain relief for the cables (a tug gets transmitted direct to the wire connections).

That said ... I'm guilty of setting the stage for exactly this sort of thing. That is, I install such a chase for possible future additional wires. Did I say 'possible?' So far, the chases have nearly always been used, as things were added.

I suppose that such chases could be made kosher with the addition of a gutter on top, and the use of cable clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.