Pics of panel rough-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Since I program the HWI panels shown above, I've had the privilege of seeing many other electricians versions of that mech room. I must say that it's absolutely the most visually appealing romex job I've ever seen

big vic

tallgirl said:
The right side of this pic is my first attempt at finishing a panel. The left side was done by a journeypeep I work with regularly.

JuliePanel.jpg

Are those 2" cable connectors with 12 romexs in them or rigd nipples. Either way it wouldn't fly around here

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
big vic said:
Are those 2" cable connectors with 12 romexs in them or rigd nipples. Either way it wouldn't fly around here

Not sure what they are as I didn't start the panel and I tend to be busy when he's working on them. I believe they are 2" nipples, but could be mistaken.

What's the code issue? It's never set off my "Not to Code" alarm.

tallgirl

Occupation
Dennis Alwon said:
Its legal if you meet the requirements of art.312.5(C) exception

I'm pretty sure it does -- there's a 2x4 above the panel, nailed between framing members and the cables are stapled to that 2x4 in numerical order, with odd circuits on the left (1, 3, 5, ...) and evens on the right (2, 4, 6 ...) and the feeder down the middle, stapled as well. Beyond that, I don't remember much of anything. As I wrote earlier, panels and services are a mystery to me.

I'll try to remember that section the next time and compare what's done with that exception.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd be surprised if it complied with that section, no offense.

Technically, by the section, there should be bushings on the RNC MAs, I don't see any either. :)

tallgirl

Occupation
georgestolz said:
I'd be surprised if it complied with that section, no offense.

Technically, by the section, there should be bushings on the RNC MAs, I don't see any either. :)

Well, most of it isn't my work, so I'm not going to take it personally :)

I'm more familiar with panel makeups such as Larry's in this post. No one has posted a photo of the other sort I've seen, which is a nipple out the back, such as in this famous photo :)

tallgirl

Occupation
Oh, and another thing --

I've read comments by a number of y'all on the subject of AFCIs getting hot. Is the way those AFCIs are arranged a bad idea? Would a better layout have been two on each side, rather than all four on the same side?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bjp_ne_elec said:
What about derating? As the conductors are grouped - so if it is a nipple, it's length is important.

Derating does not make it illegal but if it is less than 2' then you don't have to derate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
That is not surface mounted, it is a violation of the NEC

I should have caught that but I didn't. Thanks Bob---- so why do you think it is okay for surface mount but not for recessed. Sounds absurd to me. Someday somebody may recess a surface panel and you know that no one will move all those wires.

Anyway, I think it is a bad installation. There is no reason not to use connectors.

iwire said:
but also a common practice in some areas.
We use to do it like that years ago here but that practice seems to have gone by the wayside.

celtic

You need some rigid pipe there ...you seem to have used everything else but :D

Looks nice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.