Point of attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

There was time when service installations in this state that were very near the ocean were done this way. Not really sure why. :-?

YEP I never have understood, PVC, and SE risers.......JUNKY...wont last over time......Use Rigid or EMT

Occupation
Inspector
230.54(C) Service Heads and Goosenecks Above Service-Drop Attachment. Service heads and goosenecks in service-entrance cables shall be located above the point of attachment of the service-drop conductors to the building or other structure.
Exception: Where it is impracticable to locate the service head or gooseneck above the point of attachment, the service head or gooseneck location shall be permitted not farther than 600 mm (24 in.) from the point of attachment.
You are also required to meet the serving electric utility's service requirements.

We do not use Service-Entrance cable in my area. Most installations here have the Service Heads at or below the point of attachment with a good size drip loop.

As I read it this Article is dealing with SE cable not a PVC or Rigid riser with individual conductors. Am I wrong on this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We do not use Service-Entrance cable in my area. Most installations here have the Service Heads at or below the point of attachment with a good size drip loop.

As I read it this Article is dealing with SE cable not a PVC or Rigid riser with individual conductors. Am I wrong on this?

The way it's written I would agree with you that the wording sounds like it only applies to SE cables. IMO that's not the intent.

charlie

. . . As I read it this Article is dealing with SE cable not a PVC or Rigid riser with individual conductors. . .
Sorry, you are wrong. A service head can be used on SE cable, EMT, RMC, IMC, etc. A gooseneck may only be formed on SE cable. They both need drip loops or water will enter the conductors through the interstices, will enter the raceway around the bushed holes in the service head, or both. :smile:

peter d

YEP I never have understood, PVC, and SE risers.......JUNKY...wont last over time......Use Rigid or EMT

I have never understood people who make blanket statements about wiring methods that work just fine and are in use all over the country.

Occupation
Inspector
Sorry, you are wrong. A service head can be used on SE cable, EMT, RMC, IMC, etc. A gooseneck may only be formed on SE cable. They both need drip loops or water will enter the conductors through the interstices, will enter the raceway around the bushed holes in the service head, or both. :smile:

After reading the title of Article 230.54(C) more closely, I see where you are coming from. I usually leave about a 2' drip loop on all of my Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.