pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

romexking

Tiger,

pretty nice site. I like it that you have enough concern for your customer's safety to install new ground rods instead of taking the easy way out and using the existing. That little extra step says a lot about you and your company.

aline

romexking said:
Tiger,

pretty nice site. I like it that you have enough concern for your customer's safety to install new ground rods instead of taking the easy way out and using the existing. That little extra step says a lot about you and your company.
I have yet to do a service upgrade where there were any existing ground rods already installed.
Apparently around here they never installed ground rods in the old days.
We end up driving two new ground rods on every service upgrade.

aline

celtic said:
I noticed it too...truly the mark of a hack to use the HO's tools.

:D
The hammer was the only tool I needed for this job and I rented it from the homeowner.
I didn't want to wade through the snow to get mine.

aline

The funny thing is I went out to this guys house to just hook up his dryer.
The outlet and wire was already installed he just needed me to put in a breaker and connect the wire.

I'm sure a better and more honest electrician would have done it without selling him a service upgrade.

Tiger Electrical

Thanks rk, I appreciate it. IMO a proper grounding system is the foundation of a safe electrical system. Grounding and GFCIs made it all better.

I like seeing how other guys do services aline. Here the POCO requires the meter to be 30-60" center to grade. Yours is higher than anything around here. Can you imagine setting a socket at 30"? I wouldn't like to pull a meter at that height.

Dave

emahler

Tiger Electrical said:
I'd take the time to explain my service upgrades but it's easier to send you to my website. The 100A "before" picture was a panel change-out without changing the service cable or grounding. My services have exterior IMC and always 2 new ground rods. I never trust previous grounding. This 100A service was about 30' from the meter, so is a disconnect type. I moved the panel to a wall with better access. The old panel was buried in a corner that was their prime storage area, so I had to run conduit to J Boxes for the branch circuits. This one took a little longer than 4 hours. So did the double on the same Picture Page.

Dave

www.TigerElectrical.com

nice dave...i like the add on surge protector...the upsell with squared qo....but one question, why is it common in Chicago to put all the receptacles sideways like that?

480sparky

emahler said:
nice dave...i like the add on surge protector...the upsell with squared qo....but one question, why is it common in Chicago to put all the receptacles sideways like that?

And the hot is on the top! Think of all the metal parts that will descend on those poor receptacles once a cord is plugged in half-way! :grin:

emahler

peter d said:
That's popped up a few times here before, and the only conclusion I can some to is "local tradition."

that's why i'm asking a guy from chicago and not a guy from taxichussetts....:D

aline

emahler said:
It's so they don't spend all their time arguing about wether the ground should be up or down.

I upsold a surge protector to the husband on a service upgrade I'm doing next week.
Then the wife came home after I left and called me up to say she doesn't want it.

I hate it when that happens. Now I have to convince her next week why she needs one. :)

Last edited:

electricguy

This one was a bit of a PITA as there wasn't much room for proper meter height so the mast is beside the meter socket and the riser is EMT. the mast is bolted to the structure in 3 places. the riser is strapped with lag bolts.

low_hieght.JPG

aline

electricguy said:
This one was a bit of a PITA as there wasn't much room for proper meter height so the mast is beside the meter socket and the riser is EMT. the mast is bolted to the structure in 3 places. the riser is strapped with lag bolts.

low_hieght.JPG
You have to penetrate the roof twice.
Man that really blows.
You canadians are a strange bunch. :)

We'd be able to get away with just a single mast out of the meter can but would need to guy the mast if it sticks up that far past the roof.

emahler

tomorrow I will try to remember to take a picture of a house around the corner from me...they went from overhead to underground for the service...but they left the telephone and cable overhead...so they still have a mast sticking up in the air for the phone and cable to attach too...

why didn't the EC install conduits underground for phone and cable when they dug up for the service? low bid rules:D

Tiger Electrical

I'll confess that I have no knowledge of the history of the change in receptacle orientation. They were installed vertically-ground-down until about 1975, then went to the configuration in the picture. It's been monkey-see, monkey-do since then. If I did it an ANY other orientation I'd be the joke at the party..."Yea Guy, you got a great EC, but he put the outlets in wrong!"

In this area we plug our plugs all the way in (I personally use nylon covers) and don't hang sheet metal scraps loosely on the wall above our outlets, so we don't have the safety issues some of the other ECs complain about.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.