pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

480sparky said:
Because the cable & telecos won't pay us to do it.

power company won't pay us to do it for the service either....here the customer paid for all of it...why not add a few hundred $ and put the 2 extra conduits in the ground (this job was about 80' from the pole to the house), the phone and cable company will pull the wire through for little or no cost...

the power company does nothing but connect the wires we pull at the pole...

480sparky

emahler said:
power company won't pay us to do it for the service either....here the customer paid for all of it...why not add a few hundred $ and put the 2 extra conduits in the ground (this job was about 80' from the pole to the house), the phone and cable company will pull the wire through for little or no cost...

the power company does nothing but connect the wires we pull at the pole...

Funny.... my pocos bring power to the house. Triplex or URD is theirs, not mine. They just prefer to do it themselves. Same with cable & tele... they bring it to the house by themselves too.

romexking

electricguy said:
This one was a bit of a PITA as there wasn't much room for proper meter height so the mast is beside the meter socket and the riser is EMT. the mast is bolted to the structure in 3 places. the riser is strapped with lag bolts.

A problem we have with our utility is if we install a new mast, the supports (not kindorf) must be through bolted through wood blocking secured between studs. Pretty hard to do on an existing home. I have made it look like it was through bolted with kindorf actually supporting the riser, but I don't want to try that trick too often.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Tiger Electrical said:
I'll confess that I have no knowledge of the history of the change in receptacle orientation. They were installed vertically-ground-down until about 1975, then went to the configuration in the picture. It's been monkey-see, monkey-do since then. If I did it an ANY other orientation I'd be the joke at the party..."Yea Guy, you got a great EC, but he put the outlets in wrong!"

In this area we plug our plugs all the way in (I personally use nylon covers) and don't hang sheet metal scraps loosely on the wall above our outlets, so we don't have the safety issues some of the other ECs complain about.

Dave

i thought you guys put them in sideways to reduce the number of elbows in your pipe. straight out and on to the next one as opposed to 180? of bend between receps. this of course would only be if you were using standard metal device boxes and not 4" squares.

emahler

brantmacga said:
i thought you guys put them in sideways to reduce the number of elbows in your pipe. straight out and on to the next one as opposed to 180? of bend between receps.

if they put them in a 1900 box (Raco 192 or equivilent) they use a mudring...the orientation of the device has nothing to do with the pipe work...you can come in to the box on any side...

JohnJ0906

aline said:
I'm thinking of using this baby for all my service upgrades from now on.
I could load enough material on this baby to do a whole city block at once.
I could stop by the rescue mission on the way and load it up with some day workers.
Mass production that's the key to being able to lower my price and become more competative. :)

ServiceTruck4-1.jpg

aline, I love that guy's picture! Reminds me of some former co-workers.... :grin:

I know a builder who uses an old school bus. Left in 3 rows of seats, and built shelves in the rest of the space. Full sized roof rack for ladders and lumber. Actually works real well for them.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
emahler said:
if they put them in a 1900 box (Raco 192 or equivilent) they use a mudring...the orientation of the device has nothing to do with the pipe work...you can come in to the box on any side...

of course, that why the end of my post said . . .

this of course would only be if you were using standard metal device boxes and not 4" squares.

:D

i don't know what kind of boxes they use. the metal boxes i use are just like your plastic device boxes, only metal w/ 1/2" KO's and romex clamps.

bradleyelectric

satcom said:
Some say 6 to 9 months, we hope, you missed the deal of a lifetime at the MCI auction they had plenty of scissor lifts. But just stand by, there should be mort to come, all those low baller EC's are finally sinking.

I scored a scissor lift last year at a Richie Bros. Auction. They had about 20 of them.

celtic

LGLS,
just to keep it brief and so I understand....will you or won't you take the job in #68?

Below are all the conversations so we are on the same page here.

emahler

celtic said:
LGLS,
just to keep it brief and so I understand....will you or won't you take the job in #68?

Below are all the conversations so we are on the same page here.

do you realy expect the bs to stop? you really are an optimist:D

emahler

celtic said:
Is it wrong to want to know?

as long as in this case by "know" you mean "never get a straight answer and only get the run around"...then you might 'know'...but if you are looking for the truth, you are better off going to a convention of liars...

celtic

emahler said:
as long as in this case by "know" you mean "never get a straight answer and only get the run around"...then you might 'know'...but if you are looking for the truth, you are better off going to a convention of liars...

I'm looking to pocket a grand for stamping a permit :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.