pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

These are peoples opinions and thats what we ask for when we post here, sorry you see it in an negative way. I find everyone to be quite helpful when I ask things on these forums.

Last edited:

tonyou812

If people are telling me its basically better to eat crow than work than they really arent listening only puffing their own feathers. And its also my right to tell them what I think of their opinions....

peter d

tonyou812 said:
Lets face it people its the small EFFICIENT CONTRACTOR that is your biggest competion when it comes to the smaller jobs . But this thread isnt in total vain because I will make it a priority to get more for my work.

Maybe you are more efficient and can charge less. But why would you leave money on the table?

There are flat rate plumbing/electrical/HVAC companies around this area that charge $3000-4000 for a basic service upgrade. There is no reason why you can't charge the same, but as Eric said you have to offer much more than the 15 other guys who will do it for half the price or less.

emahler

tonyou812 said:
Maybe I will be comming for your company if all goes well.

hell, we're always for sale....if the price is right...you have my email:D

i must say though, we have a company policy again drinking and typing

tonyou812

your really not hearing what I am saying the choice was some money or no money the people had chewed me down from my origional price and in these trying times (especially for a new buisness) its a matter of work or no work and the common consensus is to stay home. That is the point that I have been trying to make all along. Many people here seem to think its better to stay home and do nothing than to make 1000 bucks for my new fledgeling company. And I am basically very surprised to hear people tell me I basically a donkey for doing the work at that price.

emahler

contracting is hard...not selling on price is even harder...having had a few conversations via email and pm with tony I honestly think he is giving everything he has...now, due to said Jim Beam, he may flame me, but whatever...I think he is discovering that contracting is really, really hard.....and it's frustrating...i also get the feeling that he still has the paycheck mentality and that if he isn't actually physically working, he isn't accomplishing anything...read this article... (you may have to register, it's free, go ahead) It explains much better than I can.

there is a common theory that a half a loaf is better than no loaf...i don't know, not my philosophy...but then again, we've gotten out of residential service because I got tired of all the guys who were willing to kill themselves for 1/2 a loaf....

after you read the other article....read this article......it explains a big part of the problem that we face in this industry...

emahler

tonyou812 said:
your really not hearing what I am saying the choice was some money or no money the people had chewed me down from my origional price and in these trying times (especially for a new buisness) its a matter of work or no work and the common consensus is to stay home. That is the point that I have been trying to make all along. Many people here seem to think its better to stay home and do nothing than to make 1000 bucks for my new fledgeling company. And I am basically very surprised to hear people tell me I basically a donkey for doing the work at that price.

tony i will add this...if it's simply a matter of making some money vs. no money (with no regard to how much money is actually needed) a logical choice is to go work for someone...at least working for someone you will always "make some money" and never risk losing money by taking a job too low and running into issues that you have to eat...i'm not saying go work for someone...i am saying, don't be myopic (read the 2nd article I posted for a full explanation)

hardworkingstiff

tonyou812 said:

I hear you Tony! This is a free society. I'm not sure why you seek this forums approval?

If you are hungry, you need to work for food!

I've been lucky in that in the last 5 years I've been able to pay off all my debt. I have some money saved, and if I don't work for a couple/three years I'll still be OK. I choose to pick through the work and take what I want. In a year, I may not feel this way.

You need to do what is right for you. If you want to work for less, so be it.

tonyou812

:roll: To all
I am sincerlly sorry for getting hot on the collar. Yes I am begining to see how difficult contracting really is. It was the Jim Beam talking, that and going over my bills for the month. I really have alot to learn. (GULP) that was me swallowing my pride. I think I am stuck in the paycheck mentality and I will keep my big mouth shut from now on and keep my ears open.:smile:

emahler

tonyou812 said:
:roll: To all
I am sincerlly sorry for getting hot on the collar. Yes I am begining to see how difficult contracting really is. It was the Jim Beam talking, that and going over my bills for the month. I really have alot to learn. (GULP) that was me swallowing my pride. I think I am stuck in the paycheck mentality and I will keep my big mouth shut from now on and keep my ears open.:smile:

admitting you have a problem is the 1st step:D....We're all friends of Frank here (notice the publication date)

celtic

Tony....if you don't make any mistakes, how will you gain any experience?

Seriously....at this stage in the game, they are minor mistakes....in a few years they could be major blunders. At which point would you rather say: Opps!

Ask your questions, voice your opinion (try not to take Mr. Fine's title away :) )...it's all part of learning.

For some reason, the turd herders seem to have a much better grasp on this whole "pricing thing". Learn from them as we seem to be knuckle draggers in that area. Sign up over at PM Mag...have a subscription to thier trade magazine sent to your door....turned a screw isn't the issue ~ turning a profit is.

celtic

emahler said:
how's hiring that new guy to do your services working out for you? reach a deal yet?
I think I have him stunned into taking the job...either that or I am being ignored :D

I have another one lined up...he could make some heavy dough in one day...jobs about 20 miles apart, passing by multiple SH's.

Tiger Electrical

tonyou812 said:

I'm assuming we all had a wake up call at some time about business and pricing. Mine was my 18th year in business when I could only draw a $30k salary. It was a slap in the face that I had a problem & I had to fix it.

Dave

LawnGuyLandSparky

celtic said:
Why not...you'd be making $1200+/- for a 1/2 day of work ~minus 500+/- material; a few bucks for gas; and if you had agreed yesterday you would have avoided the $2 increase in tools.

$300/hr is pretty dam good pay in ANY area.

How far would you go to do do a job like this?

emahler

celtic said:
I think I have him stunned into taking the job...either that or I am being ignored :D

I have another one lined up...he could make some heavy dough in one day...jobs about 20 miles apart, passing by multiple SH's.

that's one of the problems these days...guys talk the game, but when given a chance to play, they suddenly have some kind of excuse why they can't do this or that....gotta love it...

LawnGuyLandSparky

emahler said:
that's one of the problems these days...guys talk the game, but when given a chance to play, they suddenly have some kind of excuse why they can't do this or that....gotta love it...

Why don't you take the job? You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

Tiger Electrical

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Why don't you take the job? You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

Really Eric, why don't you get to work?

BTW after my 1st 6 months in business my wife asked me "Why don't you get a REAL job?" I should have been a plumber.

Dave

PS I read NJ has a new rule...no text messaging from the car. NJ loves taxing the little people.

Status
Not open for further replies.