Proper receptacle for Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
When installing a 240 volt dryer, would you reuse the existing 10-30r or change it to the technically correct 6-30r?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Depends on the existing installation, see 250.140, and what the customer wants.

The dryer already arrived, its straight 240, the label has no slash rating. Instructions call for 2 hots and a ground (though they are vague), however the plug is a NEMA 10-30r which means its 2 hots and a neutral, there is no ground.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
So the silly re-identification of conductors smaller than #4 rule is the problem.:rant:

Stupid/silly rule IMO.

You nailed it! Stupid imo.

Technically a violation, but I may know someone who knows someone that would possibly endorse that idea in his opinion........:cool:

My other thought was to leave the NEMA 10-30 and ground through the neutral with a regular dryer cord but that would also be technically incorrect.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Technically a violation, but I may know someone who knows someone that would possibly endorse that idea in his opinion........:cool:
I am not sure if it is a violation to strip off the insulation to make an EGC. I have stripped the red off of MC, used it for an EGC and kept the green for an isolated ground.

In this case I would have no worries about using some green tape or sharpie.

jumper

Hey! Don't be snickering at the power of the quantum world.

I would never do a dastardly action such as thus....:)

I only snicker at the thought that re-identifying a #4 pink, purple, white or blue wire/conductor as an EGC is safe, but doing the same same to a #10 will cause world wide destruction is a bit far fetched. :lol:

That rule needs to go, but as it is so old and entrenched, I doubt it could get changed.

Last edited:

jumper

I am not sure if it is a violation to strip off the insulation to make an EGC. I have stripped the red off of MC, used it for an EGC and kept the green for an isolated ground.

In this case I would have no worries about using some green tape or sharpie.

Pretty sure that is a violation of 250.119.....do not tell anyone, I have done the same/similar.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Pretty sure that is a violation of 250.119.....do not tell anyone, I have done the same/similar.

It is. To be honest re identifying the wire is better than grounding through a neutral, especially considering the fact as soon as the dryer frame touches anything grounded you lose the neutral bar isolation.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
250.119 Identification of Equipment
Grounding Conductors
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment ground-
ing conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or in-
sulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment
grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish
that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes
except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insula-
tion or individual covering that is green, green with one or
more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by
this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded
circuit conductors.
You made me look it up.

I am going to stake my claim on the idea that if I strip off the insulation the wire is bare and no longer continuous. That will at least get me though the confessional with a light penance. Purgatory is a concern.

jumper

You made me look it up.

Good.:p

I am going to stake my claim on the idea that if I strip off the insulation the wire is bare and no longer continuous.

Tenuous position at best. I am not against it, but I do not think it will fly.

That will at least get me though the confessional with a light penance

Works for me.

Purgatory is a concern

Eat more fiber.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.