Proper receptacle for Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
No excuses, I just quit doing any resi work in 1979. I was working mostly gas stations and fluid control systems since 1980, so I never needed to use the exception we were discussing since we don't use ranges or clothes dryers in those operations. Then I moved into wiring marinas.

I've never claimed to be a code nut and usually just brush up on what I needed to know for what I was doing. I guess to most of y'all I'm not a real electrician because I am self taught and have never taken a code class until I moved to NC and needed to for continuing education credits to keep my license.

Since you are much better educated than I on the NEC, maybe you can explain why a 10/3 w/out a ground can have the appliance grounded by the neutral even if from a sub panel, but the 8/3 SEU is only allowed to be used if it originates in the service equipment? Also, If you had a separate ground and neutral bar in the service equipment, which bar would you terminate the bare wires in the 8/3 on, and why? The bare wires are feeding a 120/240 no ground receptacle.

What difference does it make that the neutral of the 10/3 is insulated and the bare wires on the 8/3 are not as far as being allowed to use a sub panel?
I don't know the reasons, I myself question why it took so long to require a fourth conductor for the application? My understanding was it was permitted to use the grounded conductor for equipment grounding back during WW2, some say it was due to shortage of copper because of war, yet others say there was no such shortage, kind of doesn't matter much to me why, but have always wondered why it took until 1996 NEC to put it back on track with everything else and separate the grounded and grounding conductors, from an electrical safety point of view this should never been allowed in the first place.

At the service equipment, there is no issue with landing any grounding conductor on either the neutral or the EGC bus. If it is a current carrying conductor though it must land on the neutral bus, even if it is a bare conductor of a SE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.