Re-poll

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Re-poll

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
If they expect it to be an actual hole, probably a non-issue.

If they expect it to be an opening in a collection of members, they would likely word it differently.

They did word it differently, they avoided to word 'hole' and used 'opening' IMO there was a reason for that ........ they did not just mean holes.

Jim W in Tampa

"Keep in mind we are directly allowed to fish EMT into place, how is that on the couplings? "

Come on now Bob .read all of it. Says no couplings so that pretty much limits it to 10 feet.
Perhaps we need to clearify just what a truss is.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The ICC considers wood trusses to be framing members.
The following is from section 1.2 ofthis document.
The trusses are used as roof or floor framing members.
The parts of the truss are chord members and web members, but the complete truss is a framing member.

Volta

Looks like Don already did that.:cool:

Close enough. It actually says "used as", but that is good enough for me, I'll accept it as a reasonable interpretation and agree that it can meet the letter of the NEC to forgo the securing when run horizontally through openings in trusses.

Don't worry though Jim, I won't actually install it that way :cool: :roll:.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I'm in the same mind set as Volta on "used as" is not "Is". But I'm not going to install something that I don't feel is "Secure" and use the "but the code says I can do it." argument. If the EMT is loose in the void of the bar joist or truss, I will strap it if it is my job, or make the installer strap it if I am inspecting the job. If on the other hand it is secure, not just in word but in practice, I would let it be.

hardworkingstiff

Close enough. It actually says "used as", but that is good enough for me, I'll accept it as a reasonable interpretation and agree that it can meet the letter of the NEC to forgo the securing when run horizontally through openings in trusses.

Don't worry though Jim, I won't actually install it that way :cool: :roll:.

I won't either, at a minimum I will use wire ties to hold it in place, but the code allows it.

Jim W in Tampa

There has been not one post of mine aimed at wood trusses, all my posts where about steel joists. :cool:

Yes but what your saying is legal on steel trusses would apply to all includeing wood.
The material is not the issue. Issue is the truss. We all agree its made from framing members but is it as a finished product called a truss or framing member or both ?

iwire

Staff member
The material is not the issue. Issue is the truss. We all agree its made from framing members but is it as a finished product called a truss or framing member or both ?

Don cleared that up entirely, he provided the names for the parts that make up the truss and showed that the http://www.icc-es.org/ considers a truss a framing member and that should be a rock solid source of that type of info.

Give it up, it's done. :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
is it as a finished product called a truss or framing member or both ?

Both, and along with that they could be called joists, bar joists, ceiling joists, floor joists, etc ... I am sure there are more terms for them.

And yes, the rules would be the same for all joists be it steel, wood, composite, or what have you.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.