REALISTIC performance of your old T8 systems faced vs LED T8 retrofit dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

Whoa! This is too much before coffee. Can you cliffnote this stuff? Is this Electriclight keep buying t8's v.s. Mirawho buy LED's ?

Cliff's:
Baseline
The most common existing 10-year old T8 fixtures use 59W/fixture for 2-lamp, 112W/fixture for 4-lamp while providing a maintained output of 2,400 lumens per lamp using basic RE70 lamps. The lamps are rated 2,700 but only driven at 88% output.

F32T8/28W premium RE80 is a drop-in match for F32T8 RE70.
25W lamps offer a more aggressive power saving but further reduction of output. Of the 2,400 lumens made by each lamp, the actual amount leaving the fixture depends on each design and conditions. Maintained total efficacy level of 75-85 lm/W inclusive of lamp, ballast and fixture optics is realistic with premium RE80 lamps.

LEDs would have a hard time holding up a maintained total lm/W of this level short of extremely expensive dedicated CREE LED luminaires.

LED drop-ins only emit along the lower 100 to 160 degree of the lamp and can substantially alter the distribution of light into a more task-light like lighting that casts a strong shadow. Sometimes good, sometimes not. You might get a good FC value on the desk, but not along the wall and cause merchandise and people to look dim and make the lighting less effective.

For some reason, LED output is given by new lamp lumens while fluorescent lamps are given by mean lumens. A lamp like Philips InstantFit is 1,600 lumens new (on 0.88BF ballast) but drops down to 1,120 lm/lamp at the rated life of 40-50K hours, because the rated life for that product is based on decay to 70%.

If the existing T8 fixtures are 85% efficient and distribution is good, LED downgrade can cause an immediate drop of 25%(2,040 lm to 1,520 lm) which explains "LEDs seem dim" complaints. There are LEDs that put out 2100 lumen in a system, but they consume more power and you'll see hardly any saving from F32T8 25-28W comparing new lamps. It might under perform T8 lamps if you consider maintained output.

Lumen loss compensation for T8 is 1.05 to 1.1. LED @ "80%" output is 1.25. LED @ 70% is 1.43. If the desired FC level is 10, it needs to read 14.3 if its expected to provide 10 or more at all times. If you're using 80% as the end of life, then it only needs to be 12.5.

The current LED industry standard allows for absurdly high levels of decay. So, you need to spec it based on maintained output and oversize a bunch, or derate the life so that 10% loss is defined as end of life.

(If you're looking to get a car and your current car is 21mpg new, 20 mpg at 100,000 miles vs a new one rated at 25mpg off the lot, but 17.5mpg after 75,000 miles along with a corresponding drop in engine performance, you'll go hmmmm. If it was a rental car with 3,000 miles on it, you couldn't care less what it's going to be like at 75,000 miles on the clock.)

Of the lumens leaving, the actual "useful" output depends on who's doing the measurement as well as the application. The latter is subjective.

Example: Street Light that provides excess light into someone's windows is a nuisance called light pollution. A moderate amount of ground level house side that give a good view of someone hiding in the vegetation is good security. Lighting up the bush to the same level as road surface would be a waste.

LED sales people may consider the light going into house side a "waste" and only aim to match the new LED lumen to mean HID lumen in order to cook up a favorable payback period.

Electric-Light

This is from LED sell sheet from Lithonia Acuity Brands sales department. They be dreaming.

***LED Lifehack: The newest version of this product touts 90% lumen maintenance at 60,000 hours. It employs a built-in governor that track the hours of use and feed more juice to maintain the output. You avoid wasting power at the beginning by eliminating the need to overspecify, but the watt usage will actually go up with age to make up for massive chip degradation.

http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/library/ll/documents/specsheets/2gtl 2x4.pdf

So, how is dollar savings estimated? Dream on. I added in the performance you can get using today's Super T8.

58W input and 15,000 hr lamp life? Yes, sounds about right for fixtures installed in the year 1999 or so and common at the time 18,000 hour/3hr start rated lamps.
u9fKX98.png

Using the cutting edge Super T8 system, you're down to 45W input and almost 50,000 hour re-lamp interval and lumen maintenance factor of over 90%. Unlike LEDs, there's no need for active governor that ups the wattage as the lamps age in order to maintain the lumens thanks to naturally low lamp degradation.

LEDs either hold the same power and let the lumen taper off or you ramp up the power usage and decrease efficiency as they age to maintain the same lumen.

This is a snapshot of lamp-ballast performance available today from Super T8 in 2013. Pay close attention to initial vs mean lumen. The mean lumen is the maintained lumen. Note how little lamps dim. You can count those percent in one hand.
ScuvPSh.png

iwire

Staff member
Yes, he does tend to be anti-LED but it is refreshingly balancing. I get sick of the LED over-hype. I like vendors that are straight with the facts.

When I have a pile of BS on the left of me I don't find a pile of BS added to right of me to be balancing. I find it to be suffocating. :D

Believe me if an LED proponent was on this forum pushing their agenda just as hard as he is pushing his agenda I would be on them as well.

I dislike spin from either side.

Electric-Light

When I have a pile of BS on the left of me I don't find a pile of BS added to right of me to be balancing. I find it to be suffocating. :D

Believe me if an LED proponent was on this forum pushing their agenda just as hard as he is pushing his agenda I would be on them as well.

Do you remember that T5 fluorescent was the biggest buzz about 4 years ago? :lol:

mike1061

I just last week replaced the lights in a resturant kitchen. We used Lithonia brand 2x4 lay-in fixtures. There was a mix of 3 lamp T-8 and LED (that had two strips). My personal obeservations after about one hour. The LED's seemed a hair dimmer, perhaps because there two directional strips in stead of the all directional output of the T-8's. They both seem to light the area just fine though.
Thanks
Mike

mivey

Eeew! I just happen to have been overwhelmed with LED hype lately. Some of it is down right insulting to normal intelligence.

That's true. But some of the projectiles they launch at each other have good nuggets buried in them that might be hard to find otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.