Receptacle as required lighting outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
So if my light fixture for this garage is a plug in shop light how can i use it without the receptacle ?

You can use it, but the receptacle will have to be in addition to the rerquired "lighting outlet"

Remember, you can put a blank plate on the lighting outlet, but it must be there.

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

roger said:
You can use it, but the receptacle will have to be in addition to the rerquired "lighting outlet"

Remember, you can put a blank plate on the lighting outlet, but it must be there.

Roger

Ok so i remove receptacle and blank it and its now legal ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
Ok so i remove receptacle and blank it and its now legal ?

No, you don't have to remove the receptacle, leave right where you want it to be, but be sure your unused lighting outlet is covered. :roll:

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
electricmanscott said:
Is there a lighting outlet requirement for a detached garage?

Only if the detached garage has electric power.

See 210.70(A)(2)(a)

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
roger said:
Okay, so install a round ceiling box now, put on a keyless, and come back later and replace it with a round plate with a receptacle in it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
LarryFine said:
Okay, so install a round ceiling box now, put on a keyless, and come back later and replace it with a round plate with a receptacle in it.

If that's what you want to do.

In Jim's case, if he was dead set in using a plug in shop light, I'd just install two boxes with the switch conductors common to both, put a receptacle in one and blank the other, this blanked box could be called the "Lighting Outlet".

Roger

billsnuff

roger

roger

while i agree 100% with your statement and it being compliant, i just wonder how this makes us safer, which is what the intent of the NEC is, isn't it? it'll certainly sell more boxes and wire............Rules are for wise men, etc........:D

rcarroll

infinity said:
Look at 210.52(2) and 210.70(A)(1)Exception.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with a switched recep used as a lighting outlet. In post #13, buckofdurham stated that if both top & bottom of a recep. outlet is switched, it doesn't count as the required outlet. I am curious where that code is.

M. D.

rcarroll said:
..... In post #13, buckofdurham stated that if both top & bottom of a recep. outlet is switched, it doesn't count as the required outlet. I am curious where that code is.

2008 210.52(2)

edit to add ,...whoops typed too slow

edit to add,... I'm confused.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
rcarroll said:
Yeah, I don't have a problem with a switched recep used as a lighting outlet. In post #13, buckofdurham stated that if both top & bottom of a recep. outlet is switched, it doesn't count as the required outlet. I am curious where that code is.

Did you take a look at the Article(s) M.D. and I posted?

Jim W in Tampa

roger said:
No, you don't have to remove the receptacle, leave right where you want it to be, but be sure your unused lighting outlet is covered. :roll:

Roger

Where does it say an outlet can only serve one purpose or 1 device ?And its covered just fine with a removable receptacle and plate cover.Same tool that removes blank will work.Go for it, but i see no violation.

bikeindy

infinity said:
Here's the definition of a lighting outlet:

Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire

Do you think that a switch controlled receptacle meets the definition?

I think if the "luminaire" is of plug and cord type the receptacle works for the lighting outlet since it is fulfilling the task of being intended for the direct connection of a luminaire.

now someone will ask "Then does it need to be a single receptacle?"

I answer nope I want two luminaires!

quogueelectric

iwire said:
Not sure if that is OK.

Take a look at 410.47.

'Lampholders of the screw shell type shall be installed for use as lamp holders only'
These are listed combination devices that codes intent seems to be to be sure that the hot is not connected to the screwshell. If the intention is to plug a 1x4 flourescent in the future I dont see a V here. When the fixtures come in just unscrew the lamps and plug the fixtures in.

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
These are listed combination devices

Just because it is sold does not make it code compliant.

that codes intent seems to be to be sure that the hot is not connected to the screwshell.

Without a doubt that is the intent of part of that section.

When the fixtures come in just unscrew the lamps and plug the fixtures in.

If you install a lamp holder for the purpose of using the receptacle on it IMO you have a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.