Residential Panel outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Yikes , That's cold. I hope your panel is indoors.

It's not the panel I'm worried about. It's the wires that feed it.

Stormline.jpg

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
Technically it could be considered not out side. Because the panel's back is against the building. 100% silicone caulking is used on top and sides.

3 edges of caulk with a giant weep hole at the bottom
don't put 1/4" airspace required by 312.2 inside.

If the back is truly against the building with no airspace,
then it is a violation of 312.2 unless it's a nonmetallic
enclosure.

Karl H

It's not the panel I'm worried about. It's the wires that feed it.

Stormline.jpg

For the life of me,I can't figure out how on earth you guys
up North do electrical work ,or anything else for that matter,
I'n enviroments like you guys have in the winter.My hat is off
to you guys.I honestly do'nt think I would be able to last one
8 hour shift in -0 weather in ice and snow like you guys do.

Buck Parrish

You know going back to the OP.
It seems I've noticed that the northen part of the country. May be a little laxed on the out side disconnect code rule. It seems a lot of you guys go more then the 5 ft rule. From meter to disco.
I'll bet the weather has some thing to do with that.
So as to keep the equipment in doors.

wbalsam1

You know going back to the OP.
It seems I've noticed that the northen part of the country. May be a little laxed on the out side disconnect code rule. It seems a lot of you guys go more then the 5 ft rule. From meter to disco.
I'll bet the weather has some thing to do with that.
So as to keep the equipment in doors.
No such thing as 5 ft. rule. "Nearest the point of entrance" is how it reads. Service cable could enter behind a fuel tank and travel behind it and emerge to a 110.26 -compliant location at which point there might be 10 feet of SE conductors in the building. :)

Buck Parrish

No such thing as 5 ft. rule. "Nearest the point of entrance" is how it reads. Service cable could enter behind a fuel tank and travel behind it and emerge to a 110.26 -compliant location at which point there might be 10 feet of SE conductors in the building. :)

Around here it's 5 ft. Or you put it out side be side the meter. It must be an other one of those southern things.
I had grits for breakfeast, too.

peter d

How would you bring romex cables into an outside panel, can you use a pvc nipple if so, where do I find how many fit in a particular size conduit, would I need to derrate them? please help me, pictures are appreciated.

This whole thread and not one person mentioned a snap in bushing yet????

Karl H

Define,"Snap-in-bushing." The one that protects from abrasive openings
or the one that protects against abrasive openings and provides
"Strain-Relief?":D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If a cable manufacturer ever decides to mark the conductors in NM, he'd have the lion's share of the market.

Not only would it increase the cable's coverage, it could allow us to use it at increased temperature ratings.

Buck Parrish

Define,"Snap-in-bushing." The one that protects from abrasive openings
or the one that protects against abrasive openings and provides
"Strain-Relief?":D

If it we're metal it would be a chase nipple. PVC it's a snap in bushing or box TA
Not strain relief

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Box TA with a coupling is generally what is used here, however a snap bushing is different and also not legal with more than 2 wires.

If Peter is suggesting using them then I would say there is no way to get 30 or 40 wires into the back of a panel with those. Besides you would have to butcher the entire siding behind it.

Buck Parrish

Box TA with a coupling is generally what is used here, however a snap bushing is different and also not legal with more than 2 wires.

If Peter is suggesting using them then I would say there is no way to get 30 or 40 wires into the back of a panel with those. Besides you would have to butcher the entire siding behind it.

Oh he said snap bushing. Since most use 2 in. I didn't think he meant the plastic push in connectors. Push buttons , I call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.