Residential service pole install

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjg

Get a Bobcat with forks and an auger attachment with an 18 in. auger and 2 foot extension. dig the hole, then as mentioned earlier,dig a 4 foot or so long trench appx. 12 in deep. Lay the pole with the butt at the near edge of the hole- position the Bobcat with the forks at the top of the pole. Put the pole between the forks. Install a 2x8 in the back of the hole- then drive toward the hole while lifting the pole as you go-making sure to use the forks to keep the pole alinged with the hole. the pole will drop into the hole remove the 2x8 and back fill or use pole crete if you don't have a tamp.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Get a Bobcat with forks and an auger attachment with an 18 in. auger and 2 foot extension. dig the hole, then as mentioned earlier,dig a 4 foot or so long trench appx. 12 in deep. Lay the pole with the butt at the near edge of the hole- position the Bobcat with the forks at the top of the pole. Put the pole between the forks. Install a 2x8 in the back of the hole- then drive toward the hole while lifting the pole as you go-making sure to use the forks to keep the pole alinged with the hole. the pole will drop into the hole remove the 2x8 and back fill or use pole crete if you don't have a tamp.

you do realize that renting a bobcat with these attachments is not free either. nor is having it delivered to a remote location, or picking it up after you are done using it.

Den

I have set a lot of poles when I worked for the poco. We never used a pole under 30' and it costs $100 when I left so a 25 should be around that. The digger derrick cost $75 hr plus man hrs when I left so don't know where they are at now. We have several pole barn builders here that have digger derricks also for rent. I have used the bucket trucks to set poles that were small and all of our trucks were material handlers so no problem as the poles don't really weigh that much. We also have some "resoursful" farmers here that would just use their tractor loaders. When I built my shop 2of us set 20' poles by hand. Set the but end at the hole with a board at the back side for the pole to slide down and not dig in and just pushed them up.

growler

I can't speak for there,,,,but around here, even if it's ho owned, the poco does that work cheaper than anybody. I have learned that there is NO NEED to even bid against the powere company around here,,,,,,,very, very cheap. Way cheaper than I can do for.

People only think the power company prices are high when they assume the job is going to be quick and easy.

The last two times that I have had the POCO bore and pull in an underground sevice I was very glad they were doing the job because it turned out to be a real bear and the price was quite reasonable ( a lot cheaper than I could do it by subbing out to a private contractor ).

I would at least get a price from the POCO to furnish and set the pole.

roger3829

The last time (only time) had had to set 2 new poles on private property and install new tri-plex on it I hired a contractor who does that work. They had the bucket truck with an auger and was was a no brainer. I did what I had to do and got paid to write them a check for what they did. No problem.:)

satcom

The last time (only time) had had to set 2 new poles on private property and install new tri-plex on it I hired a contractor who does that work. They had the bucket truck with an auger and was was a no brainer. I did what I had to do and got paid to write them a check for what they did. No problem.:)

I agree, your in business to earn an income, not to solve the money problems of the masses, get a contractor that does that work and mark it up , trying to cheap out on any job just invites problems, and usually ends up costing you time and money.

pjg

you do realize that renting a bobcat with these attachments is not free either. nor is having it delivered to a remote location, or picking it up after you are done using it.

I do realize that nothing is free, but locally, all the equipment can be rented and pulled witha 3/4 ton truck and all work be preformed by most anyone competent enough to do electrical work and not have to pay a sub to do the work.

I'm not sure where free came into play in this thread in the first place. I thought that the OP was looking for a way to set a pole not get it done for free.

kwired

Electron manager
It will cost a high rate over a short time for some of the best equipment for the job.

It will cost a lower rate over a longer time for other methods.

Either way could result in same final price range.

If renting / hiring specialized equipment means less back breaking work, less risk of injury or property damage and is not unreasonably high cost I will go that route.

You have to look at all options and make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.