roff in inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

As iwire indicated in an earlier post, rough-wire inspections are required by way of laws that establish the prevailing building code. The electrical code is then referenced by the building code. Many systems installations require rough-in inspections prior to enclosing or covering. In NYS, we require inspections of the work site prior to the issuance of a permit; footing and foundation; preparation for concrete slab; framing; building systems, including underground and rough-in (plumbing, hvac, low volt wiring, electrical systems, fire alarm, smoke alarm, burglar, etc.,); fire-resistant construction; fire-resistant penetrations; solid fuel burning devices, chimneys, flues or gas vents; energy code compliance; and final inspection(s) after all work authorized by the building department has been completed.:smile:

e57

cowboyjwc said:
He can't make you do this by code, but he can make you pull every outlet and switch and fixture so that he can verify it.
I too think this sums it all up.... But hey - while you're at it - splice too....

I have called for some "rushin" jobs - where I call for inspection aftr the cables are landed - and be 1/2 done splicing when they get there - they usually leave me alone = as all need be landed - not made up for inspecting what is in the walls, and they get a taste of what the grounding and splicing will be - even watch it being done...

Minuteman

nolangro said:
does the nec require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?
The NEC does not require inspections. I have had my roughs pass with just the romex in the box, but 90% of the time, they want the grounds made. It's up to the AHJ as to what is expected at the rough stage.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
We splice every box and wire in it at rough in, and pigtail out for the devices. The more you can do at rough in the better, it just speeds up trim out. Also less mess to deal with at trim.

nolangro

My luck seems that if I make up the boxes the drywaller will cover them up due to the fact that now there a lot less wire coiled up there then if it is not made up. or even worse he will cut my wire with his roto zip tool and I will have to use wire nut on a very short wire. it now seems to be a standart practice to stand up the dry wall screw it up and then cut all the boxes out with a roto zip or drywall speed cutting tool and I am always finding cut wires so the more wire i leave coiled and stuffed in the box the better

nolangro said:
My luck seems that if I make up the boxes the drywaller will cover them up due to the fact that now there a lot less wire coiled up there then if it is not made up. or even worse he will cut my wire with his roto zip tool and I will have to use wire nut on a very short wire. it now seems to be a standart practice to stand up the dry wall screw it up and then cut all the boxes out with a roto zip or drywall speed cutting tool and I am always finding cut wires so the more wire i leave coiled and stuffed in the box the better

If you are concerned about the sheetrocker covering your boxes, there is a product on the market to cover the box and let them know if they did indeed cover your box.

When I inspect I like to see the Equipment ground made up. It is your choice, during the rough or during the final. Either time, I will look for the grounds. Usually after having each and every box opened during a final, if I did not see them at the rough, will pretty much help them ease into a roughing stage ground check the next time.

nolangro

actually i usually just wait untill the dry wall is hung then I can find the boxes they cover up and inspect my wires for damage from the derded roto zip tool, then i will make up my grounds and call the inspector back, the inspectors here get paid a hourly rate and there is no limit on the number of trips, I even have one inspector who will wright down all the ul listing numbers on the devices so he can check them to insure they are ok, I got some gfic from the local supply house and he called me and told me they had a canadda ul # not usa#, this inspector made me switch them out

cschmid

we need to do that here as well..since we pigtail all outlets anyway we make the whole box up while we are there..inspector never takes out a switch or an outlet..:grin:

our only enemy is the roto zip..nasty little tool when in the hands of an amateur..

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
cschmid said:
we need to do that here as well..since we pigtail all outlets anyway we make the whole box up while we are there..inspector never takes out a switch or an outlet..:grin:

our only enemy is the roto zip..nasty little tool when in the hands of an amateur..

I always pigtail, It's the only way to test the cuircuts after drywall, Sheerwall. I just make sure all the wires are not touching the ground. If I find a fault I just go back and look at each box.

jflynn

nolangro said:
I have a new inspector, who showed up today for a roff in inspection at a new home, this home is wired with romex and fiber glass nail on boxes, the inspectro said every thing was good but he want's me to strip all my wires and install all the ground crimps or green wire nuts now, before the dry wall goes up, now my question is does the nec require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?

At a minimum for a rough inspection the grounds should be made up,this is usually one of the key inspection points for an inspector,as far as the code requiring this during a rough-no,

however you have to do it regardless why not during the rough?it will make it easier on the finish...

480sparky

To me, rough-in means you do as much as you possibly can. All device boxes are made up. The service has all the HRs stuffed in the panel and grounds & neutrals landed. Even if the basement is unfinished, it's still completed with all lights, switches & receps.

One place I worked at years ago, the boss was always upset with me. Said I always took longer than anyone else. This thread illustrates why.

If I roughed in a house, I would take the time to do everything I could. So when trim was done (usually by someone else!), it didn't take as long.

But if I trimmed out a house someone else roughed in, I had to do all the stuff I normally did during rough, but the other guy was too lazy and just wanted to get enough done so he could beat feet and go home.

I've seen guys not even put the service in the basement during rough because it's possible to do it at trim. To me, that's the epitome of lazy.

As for the OP, the inspector is just trying to make it easy on both of them. Seeing the ground done up properly during rough means not having to open up several boxes during trim the check it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
To me, rough-in means you do as much as you possibly can. All device boxes are made up. The service has all the HRs stuffed in the panel and grounds & neutrals landed. Even if the basement is unfinished, it's still completed with all lights, switches & receps.
I agree 100%. I even strip and hook the condcutors. The only tool I need at trim is an electric screwdriver, and the freshly-painted walls stay cleaner.

One place I worked at years ago, the boss was always upset with me. Said I always took longer than anyone else. This thread illustrates why.
Again, I agree. It happened to me, too, as a helper, until I got the boss to let me trim a house I roughed. No matter which part you do, you seem slower.

William1978

nolangro said:
I have a new inspector, who showed up today for a roff in inspection at a new home, this home is wired with romex and fiber glass nail on boxes, the inspectro said every thing was good but he want's me to strip all my wires and install all the ground crimps or green wire nuts now, before the dry wall goes up, now my question is does the nec require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?
All grounds would have to be made up here before you would get an rough inspection.

steelersman

nolangro said:
don't leave so much wire in the box. Just leave 6" and roll it up good and tight and keep it back in the box deep and you should have very few cut wires then. I very rarely have any wires cut from a rotozip. They would practically have to try to cut my wires. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.