roff in inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
William1978 said:
I have never had to work more than 20 miles from the house knock on wood.:D

What do you do with all that free time? :cool:

For me the office is 19 miles from my house, the last job about 35 miles and the one we are starting up soon is close to 90 miles one way.

wbalsam1

When I was doing inspections every day, my typical mileage would range from 180 to 225 miles! Many are the days that I would drive 125 miles to my first inspection. It's 236 miles to my Board meeting round trip.

wbalsam1

wbalsam1 said:
When I was doing inspections every day, my typical mileage would range from 180 to 225 miles! Many are the days that I would drive 125 miles to my first inspection. It's 236 miles to my Board meeting round trip.

I mis-spoke. It's 272 miles round trip to my Board meetings. I dread those days.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'd be surprised if I put 30 miles a day on my truck, but I don't really check.

The county guys on the other hand will have to go to these cell towers on the tops of mountains which you get to from the other side of the mountain range. They said it has taken as long as four hours just to get to one inspection.

But those probably aren't as bad as the one's they have where the directions are; take farm road 5 and when you get to the third turn off hang a left and then go down 20 rows of trees and turn right and the meter is about a 1/2 mile down on your left or right depending on how you count the rows of trees.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I can tell none of you guys work on the slope. It's 800 miles to Prudhoe bay from Anchorage.

iwire

Staff member
wasasparky said:
Why are only the grounds "required" to be made?

I suspect if I did not make up the neutrals and other splices in any of the boxes the inspectors around here would have a problem with that as well.

In my area we have "Rule 10"

Rule 10

Electrical installations shall not be concealed or covered from view until inspected by the inspector of wires within and not more than 24 hours for exterior excavations nor more than 72 hours for interior installations after proper notice to the inspector, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays excluded.

If I don't make up the splices before the rough inspection they will be covered from view by devices and plates when the inspector comes back for the final.

wasasparky

iwire said:
If I don't make up the splices before the rough inspection they will be covered from view by devices and plates when the inspector comes back for the final.

As with all splices and connections to devices.

I will make a few guesses of inspector responses.

1) Because thats the way we've always done it.
2) Because I said so.
3) If the grounds are made up - and then the breaker is connected and energized, THEN if there is a short in a box that has not been trimmed, the breaker will theoretically trip vs. energizing bare copper. (Maaybe a weak arguement, but then again, just like PowerBall - It Could Happen!)
4) Let me take a closer look at the rest of your work.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
cowboyjwc said:
I'd be surprised if I put 30 miles a day on my truck, but I don't really check.

The county guys on the other hand will have to go to these cell towers on the tops of mountains which you get to from the other side of the mountain range. They said it has taken as long as four hours just to get to one inspection.

But those probably aren't as bad as the one's they have where the directions are; take farm road 5 and when you get to the third turn off hang a left and then go down 20 rows of trees and turn right and the meter is about a 1/2 mile down on your left or right depending on how you count the rows of trees.

I hope they are not getting paid per inspection. It would be funny if it weren't true. They should just give the GPS coordinates.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
acrwc10 said:
I hope they are not getting paid per inspection. It would be funny if it weren't true. They should just give the GPS coordinates.

Nope, they're public servents just like me and get paid no matter what. GPS? We only got computers on our desks 5 or six years ago.:smile:

Should be easier to find things now, got a big brush fire burning all around us.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cowboyjwc said:
I like the ones that tell you something like "Turn right a quarter mile before the big oak tree." :roll:

Years ago, before my ex became my ex, her cousin was trying to give us directions to his new house, which included turning onto the first tall road.

For almost 10 minutes, she was trying to figure out what the heck a 'tall road' is. We finally realized he was talking about a tar (asphalt) road.

Status
Not open for further replies.