Romex wire color

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickymcc

I have a homeowner who bought some romex that had been on the shelf awhile. #14 and #12 cable sheaths are both white. Currently #14 is white and # 12 is yellow. Is this code , or will the old color scheme be ok?

Ricky

peter d

Not an NEC issue. Go ahead and use it.

Occasionally I'll see an old coil of white 12/2 NM at HD or Lowes that someone found in their basement or garage that they returned.

480sparky

rickymcc said:
I have a homeowner who bought some romex that had been on the shelf awhile. #14 and #12 cable sheaths are both white. Currently #14 is white and # 12 is yellow. Is this code , or will the old color scheme be ok?

Ricky

Sheath color is not addressed in the NEC. It's strictly a NEMA thing.

mdshunk

Type NM-B cable first began to be manufactured with color-coded jackets in 2001 to aid in identification of the conductor size. The color code that was introduced, which continues to be used today is as follows:

14 AWG – White
12 AWG – Yellow
10 AWG – Orange
8 AWG – Black
6 AWG – Black​

This color coding system was developed to aid those who sell, install, and inspect Type NM-B cable so that the cable size can easily be identified, to reduce mistakes resulting from the use of an incorrect conductor size.

It should be noted that this color coding system is not a requirement of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code? (NEC?) or UL 719, Safety Standard for Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. Type NM-B can be produced and sold without using this color code. As such, the print legend, which is required by the NEC?, should be used to verify the conductor size.

Extracted from NEMA Bulletin 94

peter d

mdshunk said:
Type NM-B cable first began to be manufactured with color-coded jackets in 2001 to aid in identification of the conductor size.

Has it really been since 2001? Seems like only yesterday. Time flies when you start getting older.

480sparky

electricmanscott said:
I'd bet my best screwdriver that some inspector somewhere would have a different opinion.

Opinions are one thing. Having a code reference to back it up is quite another.

mdshunk

electricmanscott said:
I'll bet my other good screwdriver that that same inspector doesn't give a rats behind about any code reference.
Why would we even let what some misinformed inspector in Podunk might think be a matter of conversation?

480sparky

electricmanscott said:
I'll bet my other good screwdriver that that same inspector doesn't give a rats behind about any code reference.

Maybe you need to start using larger (and heavier) tools on your inspector. ;) :grin:

electricmanscott said:
I'd bet my best screwdriver that some inspector somewhere would have a different opinion.
I'm sure they would. Now, show me a code reference to back that up Mr. Inspector...Or, let me call your boss, the AHJ...

mdshunk said:
Why would we even let what some misinformed inspector in Podunk might think be a matter of conversation?
Because it reflects poorly on all electrical inspectors?

"My town" doesn't have it's own code book, yet?

If the inspector wants me to show or do something above code minimum, they can pay for it.

I dunno, there's thousands of reasons, just pick one. :D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I like the color coding, it sure makes doing tracs easier. I used to hate it because the contractor and the GC always wanted to walk with you and you get distracted and next thing you know you're almost done when you realize that you forgot to check the wire size on a coupe of circuits and you have to go back.

New bumper sticker. "I did a job in Podunck and all I got was a stupid correction notice.":grin:

Jeff80

ItsHot said:
The various colors of romex makes it easier for "illegals" to rope a house!:grin: :D

When you say "illegals" do you mean imigrants from Europe and Asia?

They are always taken our jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.