Romex wire color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebow

Color coding makes it so much easier when you are working with T. Dee and T. Dum. I can make it short and sweet. "Take that roll of flat yeller wire and run it from here back to the panel." Or - "Take that round white wire and run it between these two switch boxes, over the rafters this time!"
You guys may not know what it is like to have to work with very non-electrical orientated people. You ask for a roll of 10/2 and they bring you the 14/2 (it's smaller than the 12 so it must be 10!). I had a partner that ran two bedroon circuits with UF before I caught him. Yes, the jacket was white.
Color coding is great!

Gene

mdshunk

Ebow said:
I had a partner that ran two bedroon circuits with UF before I caught him. Yes, the jacket was white.
I caught myself doing that not too long ago. I carried in a box of longer end-roll scraps on a new wiring job, as I normally do, to try to use them up. I roped up a few boxes with a UF scrap before I realized what I did. I left it in place anyhow, since I wasn't likely to have a better use for those short UF pieces. Not something I'd have used inside normally, but since I ran it accidentally, I couldn't justify pulling it back out.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
mdshunk said:
I caught myself doing that not too long ago. I carried in a box of longer end-roll scraps on a new wiring job, as I normally do, to try to use them up. I roped up a few boxes with a UF scrap before I realized what I did. I left it in place anyhow, since I wasn't likely to have a better use for those short UF pieces. Not something I'd have used inside normally, but since I ran it accidentally, I couldn't justify pulling it back out.

You story reminded me of a job I can into that some one else had begun, the guy used 10/2 UF on a receptacle circuit. What a PITA to trim out.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Ebow said:
Color coding makes it so much easier when you are working with T. Dee and T. Dum. I can make it short and sweet. "Take that roll of flat yeller wire and run it from here back to the panel." Or - "Take that round white wire and run it between these two switch boxes, over the rafters this time!"
You guys may not know what it is like to have to work with very non-electrical orientated people. You ask for a roll of 10/2 and they bring you the 14/2 (it's smaller than the 12 so it must be 10!). I had a partner that ran two bedroon circuits with UF before I caught him. Yes, the jacket was white.
Color coding is great!

Gene

Better than doing it by feel.:cool: :grin:

norcal

If the crews who wire trailers were to be laying sod, the crew leader would be yelling "green side up,green side up" .That is the reason IMO why NM cable is color coded. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

tkb

Conversation with apprentice:

Go..to..the..truck..you got that part?..and..get..the..flat..yellow..cable..are you color blind?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
norcal said:
If the crews who wire trailers were to be laying sod, the crew leader would be yelling "green side up,green side up" .
Two (blondes, idiots, whatever) went to put siding on a house.

First one says: "Hey, this box of nails is defective!"

Seond one says: "Why? What's wrong with them?"

First: "Half of the nails have the heads on the wrong end!"

Second: "You jerk! Those nails are for the other side of the house!"

I have purchased and used orange, brown, and yellow 10/2 nm recently. Also had a roll of "round" #4seu AL that one of my guys was about to pull for #6ser AL. I don't care what it looks like, you still have to double check.

480sparky

tango2echo said:
.... I don't care what it looks like, you still have to double check.

Amen to that. I well remember trimming a house years ago that someone else roughed in. Seems they used #6 THHN for the cable TV......:mad:

480sparky

peter d said:
Say what???

I'm as serious as a heart attack.

Got sent to trim a house. Did all the 120 & 240 stuff first, saved the cable & phone for last.

Took my RG-6 strippers to the first lo-volt box, and it didn't feel right. So I looked close, and it was #6 THHN.

ItsHot

BIG TV's

BIG TV's

480sparky said:

Got sent to trim a house. Did all the 120 & 240 stuff first, saved the cable & phone for last.

Took my RG-6 strippers to the first lo-volt box, and it didn't feel right. So I looked close, and it was #6 THHN.
That's for those Big TV's, # 6 is good for 50" or bigger screens!:grin:

360Youth

480sparky said:

I hope it was a single story with plenty of attic or crawl space.

Or you get get a part time job working for the cable co. and just drill it through walls and floor boards. (Sorry, pet peve :smile: )

480sparky

360Youth said:
I hope it was a single story with plenty of attic or crawl space.

Or you get get a part time job working for the cable co. and just drill it through walls and floor boards. (Sorry, pet peve :smile: )

Nope...4-level split. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.