Votes: 14 12.1%
  • more than 15

Votes: 29 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

Ok, Im curious what the size of your shop is.....Some of you may be a one man band, and others might be involved in a 50 man shop...

as you already know, our is a two man, myself and one helper.

ohmhead

Well our company which has normally 1200 people on staff and our total electricians in the work force is around 800 or so . We are in central florida and do mostly service work new residential , heavy commercial , industrial ,power plant just about every type of project we even work out of the good old usa . take care best to yas

TOOL_5150

2 in the field 2 in the office. We are a little different though, we are an in-house electrical contractor for a different company that sells other stuff. My supervisor is the license holder, his brother owns the whole company, im the foreman and I have a guy working under me.

~Matt

Ebow

The company I work for used to have eight plus the boss. Now it's down to just four and the boss. The boss does very little hands on work, he just bids and bills and whatever.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.

B4T

I used to have a helper, but found out it was much easier working alone. Pulling wires can be a problem, but you get good at finding a working system. I use a 200 ft. reel snake and pushing the wires into the pipe works really good if you put a 5 pound weight tied onto the reel handle. Things get slow and I don't have to worry about having work to keep anyone busy. Best part of being a one man band is NO STRESS!! :grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
About 210 in the field and another 20-30 in the office. Given the current economic situation that number could be 150 in a few weeks.

Mule

I used to have a helper, but found out it was much easier working alone. Pulling wires can be a problem, but you get good at finding a working system. I use a 200 ft. reel snake and pushing the wires into the pipe works really good if you put a 5 pound weight tied onto the reel handle. Things get slow and I don't have to worry about having work to keep anyone busy. Best part of being a one man band is NO STRESS!! :grin:

Im going to try that !!! I assume your up in the air with that method, otherwise it would be on the ground after one shove??

Well twice as many folks have the 1-3 person size shop as compared to the greater than 15, so far....:cool:

Mule

About 210 in the field and another 20-30 in the office. Given the current economic situation that number could be 150 in a few weeks.

Wow, 210 thats enormous.....I bet its nice to have all of the resources that a large shop could offer. Estimators, engineers, material delivery.....etc..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wow, 210 thats enormous.....I bet its nice to have all of the resources that a large shop could offer. Estimators, engineers, material delivery.....etc..

It has it's advantages, some of which you've mentioned. But it does have some disadvantages too one being that you could just end up being a number.

220/221

A year ago we had 3 in the office, 8 in the field and I was almost retired.

Today there are 2 in the office, 3 fulltime, 1 part time in the field and I am back to work maybe 3 days a week. :mad:

iaov

I'm a one man band. Occasionaly I hire a helper. I hope the economy settles down. I would like to hire a full time apprentice.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We have about 30 now, but usually have over 40 and have had over 100 at times. There are 5 in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.