slang...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
Does anyone else on here call split bolts "Kerneys"?
If someone asked me to get a Kerney, I'd know what they were asking for, but it's not in common use in my area. That's a term favored by men trained in the 50's and 60's, in my experience. On the other hand, "Kearney cover" is a term I stil hear popularly in use, which refers to the plastic clamshell type cover you can click over top of a split bolt instead of taping it up.
Kearney is a brand name.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
Whats a split bolt?? :grin:

splitbolt.jpg

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
I was just kidding, with better products out there I thought it was funny to ask what a split bolt was...

But there may be someone out there who doesn't know what they are....

ultramegabob

somehow split bolts came up in a conversation today, and I called them Kerneys, a guy I work with hadnt heard them called that before, just curious how many other people call them that....

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
somehow split bolts came up in a conversation today, and I called them Kerneys, a guy I work with hadnt heard them called that before, just curious how many other people call them that....
Are you presently in your 60's or 70's? Not slamming you... just testing out my theory. If not, did you apprentice primarily to a person who was trained in the 1950's or 1960's?

ultramegabob

mdshunk said:
Are you presently in your 60's or 70's? Not slamming you... just testing out my theory. If not, did you apprentice primarily to a person who was trained in the 1950's or 1960's?

no, but my grandfather was an electrician, and my father picked up alot of his slang, and I think I picked it up from him....

R Bob

ultramegabob said:

When I started out in the trade, we called them "bugs".
Most people under 50 have no idea what I'm talking about today.

mdshunk

R Bob said:
Just heard that from a lineman the other day. He's nearing retirement, but he was explaining how he wears gloves so much that he's dexterous enough to "put on a number 8 bug".

ultramegabob

R Bob said:

I have heard that term also, and scotchlocks are beanies or jellybeans....

jerm

we call them both, either. I think everyone in our shop knows that a kearney is a splitbolt. don't use many of them though. PEDs instead.

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
, and scotchlocks are beanies or jellybeans....
Funny, I know "beanies" as the Dolphin-type connector the alarm guys use. Sorts like an insulated crimp with a bunch of teeth inside that you smash with your pliers.

beanie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.