slang...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITO

We call them Kerneys here, but if you call a sidewinder a triple nickel only the travelers will know what you are talking about.

R Bob

mdshunk said:
Just heard that from a lineman the other day. He's nearing retirement, but he was explaining how he wears gloves so much that he's dexterous enough to "put on a number 8 bug".

Must admit.......that guy is GOOD!

HighWirey

ultramegabob said:
Does anyone else on here call split bolts "Kerneys"?

First knew them as Kerneys, later as split bolts, and now-a-days as "Polaris" type connectors. I wouldn't trade a boatload of "Kerneys" for one Polaris connector. Eventually all of that older technology is superceeded by something "cheaper, quicker, and better".

http://www.polarisconnectors.com/

BTW, I'm gone too . . .

Best Wishes Everyone

JES2727

1793 said:
Split bolts are Kearnies and Madison clips are Holder Hangers.

I guess I'm starting to show my age.

Split bolts are "bugs". That's all I ever called them until the guy at the counter didn't know what I was talking about. Now I call them "split bolts". Never heard the term "Kerney" before.
Madison clips are "Madison bars" here.

peter d

Being a young'un myself, I don't know what these "Burndy's" are that you speak of. I only know of and install Polaris connectors. If you hand me a Burndy it will go in the nearest trash can. This is 2008, not 1958.

e57

IMO Kearnies AKA split bolts still have a use in terms of cost and application. There are many times where a stip bolt is better and cheaper. e.g. where the applicable polaris type lug is not availabe in the sizes needed with the right amount of holes, or is over-priced in comparison. Additionally, grounding where one can not say cut an GEC - but want to tap to it - use them all the time for that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
peter d said:
Being a young'un myself, I don't know what these "Burndy's" are that you speak of. I only know of and install Polaris connectors. If you hand me a Burndy it will go in the nearest trash can. This is 2008, not 1958.

Burndy's are also called baby shoes.

slang337.jpg

Click here for trade slang search

I been in this trade too long I spose, Im familiar with all those slang terms............actually we call polaris taps "gutter taps" I just heard the term "hold its" the other day for madison straps. where I work now they call round mud rings " square to rounds" They laugh at me for calling the red mc insulators "anti shorts" They call em' "reds" which to me is a wire nut. I could go on and on and on,,,,,,,but fact of the matter is, this is truley a fascinating trade with alot of different characters from all sorts of backgrounds and eras. Im in the trade 25 years and still learning and having fun!~

JohnJ0906

"Split-bolts" or "Bugs" - when speaking to younger guys, I call them splitbolts, so they know what I am talking about.
"Madison straps" or "F-straps" - again, f-straps for the young guys.

peter d

e57 said:
IMO Kearnies AKA split bolts still have a use in terms of cost and application. There are many times where a stip bolt is better and cheaper. e.g. where the applicable polaris type lug is not availabe in the sizes needed with the right amount of holes, or is over-priced in comparison. Additionally, grounding where one can not say cut an GEC - but want to tap to it - use them all the time for that.

I'll grant you that they are still useful for GEC's, EGC's or other bare wire applications where you have to make a tap.

But the Polaris connectors are always more expensive, so the cost of them is not the issue. The labor savings and the fact that you don't have to mess around with vulcanizing tape and all that stuff wash out the extra cost.

bbaumer

peter d said:
Around here the common terms are simply "pliers" or "linesman's"

Sidecuts and linesman pliers are similar but not exactly the same thing. Linesman pliers have a bolt thread grip, sidecuts don't:

D2000-9neth_icon.jpg

d2000-9ne_icon.jpg

peter d

bbaumer said:
Sidecuts and linesman pliers are similar but not exactly the same thing. Linesman pliers have a bolt thread grip, sidecuts don't:

Thanks, I did not know that. :) I don't think any of the supply houses here carry the true "linesman" pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.