Something still surprise me

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

36 almost 37 years in the trade and somethings still surprise me. This was done by an electrician (according to the building facility personel).

LINESIDEMOUNTCB.jpg

EMTFUSES.jpg

I have always said transformers are dust magnets, but this was a bit much.

DIRTYXMFR.jpg

LINESIDEMOUNTCB.jpg

DIRTYXMFR.jpg

Last edited:

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
"cowboyjwc That is crazy. Everyone knows you should use copper pipe! "

Naw, with the price of copper we're all using EMT. :cool:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Letting the "EMT FUSES" be over looked for a minute, It looks like that is a 240 volt switch ? with 480/277 volt color coded wires. I may be wrong.But it look like that to me.

Was the EMT listed for that use/location? :)

(I think I'd rather have lint in the transformer than parking garage dust. That stuff is just plain nasty- both abrasive and slightly conductive. I used to maintain a UPS that was in a garage, it needed to be cleaned every three months instead of once a year.)

growler

yanici said:
"cowboyjwc That is crazy. Everyone knows you should use copper pipe! "

Naw, with the price of copper we're all using EMT. :cool:

I agree, I have never seen EMT used but I have found copper pipe in more than one disconnect.

It's easy to tell if it was done by an electrician. Pull out the sections of EMT and see if they are reamed ( deburred ). They do look like nice even cuts, square at the ends, the mark of a professional.

The only question that you have to ask is. " Why"?:-?

lowryder88h

Suprise

Suprise

Brian John,

I'm guessing you have never did electrical service work for a farmer. I did many service call at this one dairy farm, and I swear this guy conered the market on short pieces of wire, allegator clips, and at least he use 3/4" cu pipe for fuses. When he couldn't get his machinery to work then he would call me. It was always a challenge. I'm fairly sure others from this forum will have many more stories like the one i shared.:grin:

aja21

lowryder88h said:
Brian John,

I'm guessing you have never did electrical service work for a farmer. I did many service call at this one dairy farm, and I swear this guy conered the market on short pieces of wire, allegator clips, and at least he use 3/4" cu pipe for fuses. When he couldn't get his machinery to work then he would call me. It was always a challenge. I'm fairly sure others from this forum will have many more stories like the one i shared.:grin:
Thats not as good as the farmers out here in Nebraska. I saw a workshop with galvanized tin cut and brazed and used for conduit and thats just one of the many things that i have seen. Now let the games begin.

rlMutch

acrwc10 said:
Letting the "EMT FUSES" be over looked for a minute, It looks like that is a 240 volt switch ? with 480/277 volt color coded wires. I may be wrong.But it look like that to me.
OK, I'll bite... So what is the correct color code for 480/277 phase conductors according to the NEC???;)

lowryder88h

surprise

surprise

rlMutch said:
OK, I'll bite... So what is the correct color code for 480/277 phase conductors according to the NEC???;)

B - Brown

O -Orange

Y - Yellow

Just remember BOY for phase Id, & grey for grounded conductor :D

Last edited:

brian john

This is a Challenger 60 amp Fused Safety Switch for use on 480 VAC.

BOY what ever happened to OYB, or YOB, or BYO, or YBO, or OBY, then there is Purple, Yellow, Brown, what is required on a job is consistency. Electricians that change colors in the middle of a job, because of some mis-guided belief that the NEC requires what ever they believe, cause more problems than necessary.

I want consistency and CORRECT ROTATION.

raider1

Staff member
Its mostly a common use of colors throughout our trade, the only art that touches on this but not w/ specific colors 210.5 (C)

Agreed, but I see quite a variation of the BOY color code. I do hear alot of electricians that say you can't use orange any more due to the requirements of 110.15 even when they don't have a 4-wire delta system with the mid-point grounded.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.