Something still surprise me

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm curious what colors folks use for the switchlegs when they have a 480/277 system and a 120/208 system in the same building.

Anyone use the HV colors for LV switchlegs, and vice versa?

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
I'm curious what colors folks use for the switchlegs when they have a 480/277 system and a 120/208 system in the same building.

Anyone use the HV colors for LV switchlegs, and vice versa?

Might happen..

We have done jobs in MC where we tried to have the right color MC cable on site....it was a nightmare.

I need orange/gray 12/2 MC for this switchleg....red/white MC for this receptacle.

I think you can guess what happens toward the end of the job....

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I had a an inspector forbid grey as a netral in either 120 or 277v , He cited "thats not Natural Grey" Well one of they guys I worked with went to the corner paint store and picked up a paint chip that read " Natural Grey"
Showed it to the inspector . The inspector was pretty miffed proceeded next to spend the most time I had ever seen on a job trying to find something. Te only thing he could find was a strut clamp that was not fully tight. I bet that guy was steamin the whole day.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
natural grey

natural grey

worked for a "chief inspector" one time held fast to the same ruling.
Turned out, "Southwire" backed him. "ole timers" much OLDER than me are getting scarce, but some might shed light. as i recall, "natural grey" was a term used by wire mfgs for an insulation color from a type insulation prior to the thermoplastics when they couldn't obtain pure white. So, in fact, the code language applied to this "off white" the mfg called natural grey which was different from grey.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Greg,
Don. I realize it is not an NEC requirement.....only local....I was thinking it may come up in an NEC cycle.
It has been proposed a number of times and has been soundly rejected by the CMP.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.