Square D wiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Can't seem to find in retail,obsolete I'm told, anyone have surplus stock ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They don't make them because you can't use then on any job that has strict safety rules.

They are no longer rated to do what they did for decades.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They don't make them because you can't use then on any job that has strict safety rules.

You can misuse and tester or tool. Do they not allow any phone or other testers designed for low voltage/current applications?

There are CAT III rated solenoid voltage testers...basically you can use them anywhere downstream of the service equipment.

peter d

Not only that, there are far superior test instruments available now, like the T+ Pro. I gave away the handful of solenoidal testers that I had.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When Square D was bought by the French, the original "Wiggy" patent for the Wigginton Solenoid Voltage Tester that they owned had long ago expired, allowing other companies, like Knopp, to make them. In 2002 all voltage meters needed to have Cat. III ratings for safety and Groupe Schneider did not want to invest in redesigning something they didn't have exclusive rights to, so they killed it. But other companies did go ahead and get their Cat. III ratings. Knopp is one of them. So you can still buy a "Wiggy" in the generic sense of what we all call a Solenoid Voltage Tester, as long as you accept the fact that although built basically the same as the original Wigginton design, can no longer have his nickname emblazoned on the front. Schneider retained the copyright on that name even though they stopped making the product. They could technically sue Knopp if they used that word officially, but they can't sue us for using it in the field. I still call mine a Wiggy even though it's a Knopp version.

Buy a Fluke DMM.
Release the hounds!

I love my DMM, and I use it more than anything else. But a real electrician needs to know how to test for all circumstances and there are numerous things out there that will give you false readings on a DMM, whereas a Wiggy will show you the truth. I probably get at least one call every month from someone in the field telling my something is "leaking" voltage because they are using a DMM and showing line voltage through an SCR or something. I have them connect a Wiggy and it reads zero.

Last edited:

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tetter

Tetter

I have several meters but On some jobs I prefer a solenoid tester.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For simple trouble shooting I will take a solenoid voltage tester over a meter every time...even for 120 volt PLC and motor control circuits.

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
... a real electrician needs to know how to test for all circumstances and there are numerous things out there that will give you false readings on a DMM, whereas a Wiggy will show you the truth. I probably get at least one call every month from someone in the field telling my something is "leaking" voltage because they are using a DMM and showing line voltage through an SCR or something. I have them connect a Wiggy and it reads zero.

Do you feel that a Wiggy is superior to a low impedance DMM (e.g. Fluke 117 Lo-Z setting, or using a Fluke SV225 with a high impedance meter)? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.