Square D wiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

Have 5 of them in my garage. Had gotten Lots of use..worked in a plant with 25 cycle and 60 cycle. Could tell difference between 25 and 60 by the buzz..also used them to test GFCI's hot to ground pulled more than enough current through solenoid to trip GFCI. Lot has changed in 25 years

garbo

Wiggy

Wiggy

I work at a large 5 million square foot hospital/research center and was told almost 10 years ago that the sturdy Wiggy were not allowed to be used for safety reasons . You had to be careful with them on the higher voltage readings like 480 volts . Was something like 20 seconds on then no power for maybe 40 seconds. Back in the 70's I had guys wrap a wire around each test probe and connect them up to a 480 volt control circuit and have them energized awhile where they got pretty hot . I have a state of the art $500 digital VOM/Megger that I use almost everyday but a times I wish I had the use of one of my old wiggy's . I just love when you attach a lead to a digital VOM and read anywhere from 10 to 60 volts before the other test lead is attached .[ especially true in damp locations ] . I believe the Ideal Voltrons do have a safer model with fused test leads . No matter what test equipment you use ALWAYS test it, use it retest it . Last month I had training on 13.2 KV switch gear and my follow sparky noticed that all 3 of the fuses in an air switch were installed up side down [ blown indicating pin was up instead of down ] and the electrical foreman on the job was going to reach in and pull them out with testing for power . I stopped him and asked him where his high voltage tester was . He did not have one at this substation but said that it was ok because the air switch was off and all 3 blades were opened . NO GOOD ENOUGH. i TOLD HIM NOT TODAY . Always work safe , work smart . garbo.

kwired

Electron manager
I work at a large 5 million square foot hospital/research center and was told almost 10 years ago that the sturdy Wiggy were not allowed to be used for safety reasons . You had to be careful with them on the higher voltage readings like 480 volts . Was something like 20 seconds on then no power for maybe 40 seconds. Back in the 70's I had guys wrap a wire around each test probe and connect them up to a 480 volt control circuit and have them energized awhile where they got pretty hot . I have a state of the art $500 digital VOM/Megger that I use almost everyday but a times I wish I had the use of one of my old wiggy's . I just love when you attach a lead to a digital VOM and read anywhere from 10 to 60 volts before the other test lead is attached .[ especially true in damp locations ] . I believe the Ideal Voltrons do have a safer model with fused test leads . No matter what test equipment you use ALWAYS test it, use it retest it . Last month I had training on 13.2 KV switch gear and my follow sparky noticed that all 3 of the fuses in an air switch were installed up side down [ blown indicating pin was up instead of down ] and the electrical foreman on the job was going to reach in and pull them out with testing for power . I stopped him and asked him where his high voltage tester was . He did not have one at this substation but said that it was ok because the air switch was off and all 3 blades were opened . NO GOOD ENOUGH. i TOLD HIM NOT TODAY . Always work safe , work smart . garbo.
No low Z settting?

Status
Not open for further replies.