sub panel w/out nuetral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankster

If one were to install a sub panel that fed only phase to phase loads is it acceptable to run the sub with only phase conductors and an ECG?

Last edited:

jetlag

If one were to install a sub panel that fed only phase to phase loads is it acceptable to run the sub with only phase conductors and an ECG?

Yes and it is not all that uncommon on commercial . Dont see it much on residential but it is allowed. I dont know the code off hand but it is an exception for panels with only phase to phase loads

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's a design issue and is perfectly acceptable as an installation practice where there will be no single phase loads. See it occasionally in industrial and commercial settings.

wankster

I can't see a safety issue with it either and when you consider a single conductor could cost well over $100 it would make sense to negate the nuetral if it is not necessary.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
soooooooo..... why do i need neutral at a switch location that isn't being used??

This rule was changed becaused many of the timers, occupancy sensors etc, utilize the egc for their electronics. Since this is become a more common item I guess they didn't want a lot of current on the egc.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
This rule was changed becaused many of the timers, occupancy sensors etc, utilize the egc for their electronics. Since this is become a more common item I guess they didn't want a lot of current on the egc.

than the NEC should require those to be on the neutral, LETS GO YANKEES

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it still considered a 480/277 panel then? Or just 480?

Good question. If the 3-wire, 480 volt supply originates at a 480Y/277 volt source then the 3-wire panel will still have 277 volts to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.