sub panel w/out nuetral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

whoa, I didn't see there were 5 pages to this already! (I'm new to the new site!) I only read the first few replies... I will have to retract my statement until I "catch up"!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You know, the interesting thing about it (to me), is that the White Book doesn't prohibit it, it just doesn't list it as one of the tested methods of connection. Hmm... :)

T

taylorp

Panel Label
480 v panel
3 phase
3 wire

The fact that you do not provide the grounded conductor at the panel does not change the fact that the panel is a 480/277Y panel. That is based on the system that supplies the panel and not on the conductors that you run to the panel. The rest of the label tells you that there is no grounded conductor at the panel.
480/277Y
3 phase
3 wire
If the person looking at that label does not understand that there is no neutral in the panel, than that person is not qualified to work on that panel.

Apparently we call these Panels 480 V in the Northeast and the South and you all from Illinois call them 480Y/277 Panels. We label them based on what you have in the panel, not based on the system that feeds them. But then, which is right or which is wrong?

I have seen lots of equipment with labels where I had no idea what the guy was thinking when he applied the labels. Just because an electrician doesn't understand the label doesn't mean they are not qualified. We test for voltage and phasing anyway when we examine panels, many of which are not labeled in the first place. :)

iwire

Staff member
Apparently we call these Panels 480 V in the Northeast and the South and you all from Illinois call them 480Y/277 Panels. We label them based on what you have in the panel, not based on the system that feeds them. But then, which is right or which is wrong?

I would say it is a 480 volt panel supplied from a 480Y/277 source.

Status
Not open for further replies.