support violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
P5230009.jpg

Is this installation a violation of the rules found in the NEC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's normally accepted here provided the conduits are supported (or buried) within 18" although the use of the threadless connector may not be the letter of the law {314.23(F)}

cadpoint

Not supported, sure! One or three times, I don't believe the earth is considered as a means of support.

Workmanship, I might have sawed of the first .1/4" of thread on the left, and made a deeper ninety for the right conduit,
so there'd be no cost for that threadless fitting! ... but the latter are not violations unless this is spec'd otherwise.

Jim W in Tampa

"Not supported, sure! One or three times, I don't believe the earth is considered as a means of support."

Why would earth not be support ? It holds pipe down without strapping. I would want at least 2 feet in the ground. Not all dirt is created equal. Depending on where that box is located will prove if it is securely mounted.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It's normally accepted here provided the conduits are supported (or buried) within 18" although the use of the threadless connector may not be the letter of the law {314.23(F)}
And the threadless connector is where I am going with this.

480sparky

480sparky, Ken if I may,

It was a silly attempt at humor, obviously I failed.

I think you misread me then.

I didn't say "when you put a trench in a raceway", I said "when you trench in a raceway....."

Then I misread you, as well as missed the humor. :cool:

DARUSA

314.23 F Make it a violation .
Two conduit must be threaded and directly connected to the box.No compression fitting are allowed to support the box.

DARUSA

314.23 F violation

314.23 F violation

314.23 (F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure. *

Status
Not open for further replies.