support violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It looks like a 15.8 CUIN box on 3/4" RMC.
If they are planning on using a device in that box would the max fill not be 5 # 12's or 4 # 10's + the device?
I often see these boxes as a box fill violation waiting to happen.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that the threadless connector is a violation, but I don't see it as a real world issue...just a code violation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How would you screw it all together otherside, unless you use an Erikson or two?
The erikson could be in the underground part if you wanted to put it there. In some cases, as another post said, you can use different length nineties to avoid the use of the no thread connector or erikson.

fishin' electrician

Doesn't the earth pretty much support everything not in flight?:D

A good lawyer might be able to argue that the conduit on the right is "threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hub".

One-eyed Jack

The erikson could be in the underground part if you wanted to put it there. In some cases, as another post said, you can use different length nineties to avoid the use of the no thread connector or erikson.

At some point you will have to use a erickson unless you put left hand threads on a straight piece of pipe. Yeah it is possible to do it without one but is it worth the trouble in most cases? If the closest one is 40 miles one way,yes.:D

Volta

At some point you will have to use a erickson unless you put left hand threads on a straight piece of pipe. Yeah it is possible to do it without one but is it worth the trouble in most cases? If the closest one is 40 miles one way,yes.:D

Or, start at the panel and work toward the last box :cool:.

iwire

Staff member
314.23 F Make it a violation .
Two conduit must be threaded and directly connected to the box.No compression fitting are allowed to support the box.

314.23 (F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure. *

I see nothing in there that prohibits the use of the compression connector.

mxslick

I see nothing in there that prohibits the use of the compression connector.

I do. See the bold highlights:

314.23 (F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure.

A compression fitting is NOT a hub, I do not believe it is identified for the purpose, and finally the conduit does not thread into a compression fitting, so I would also cite this install as a violation. :grin:

Edited to add: If this is being used strictly as a splice or pull box though, it would not be a violation IAW this part of the cited section: 314.23 (F).... other than splicing devices,.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.