Talking with another electrician....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

So, I was talking to another electrician (not a contractor) and he was complaining about how he's bid on three hottubs and only got one. Both of the other jobs were given to someone who was willing to do the work for $300.00 less than him. He was around $800.00, the other guy was around $500.00.

He's doing the work as a sidejob (no license, permit, insurance, etc.) and had the audacity to complain about how cheap the other guy was willing to do the work for.

I said, "Just imagine what you would charge if you had to pay for insurance, license, payroll taxes, etc, etc, etc..."

nyerinfl

The other week I went to look at a job at a business/residence (bottom floor was antique store, second/third floors was living area) and upon my arrival they had mentioned about a sidejobber that had been out, I explained I am licensed/insured and they liked the idea of having someone licensed to do the work, until they saw my price I suppose, because I never heard back. Part of the reason I try to stay away from resi market, can't compete with the sidejobbers.

jmsbrush

sparky 134 said:
So, I was talking to another electrician (not a contractor) and he was complaining about how he's bid on three hottubs and only got one. Both of the other jobs were given to someone who was willing to do the work for $300.00 less than him. He was around $800.00, the other guy was around $500.00.

He's doing the work as a sidejob (no license, permit, insurance, etc.) and had the audacity to complain about how cheap the other guy was willing to do the work for.

I said, "Just imagine what you would charge if you had to pay for insurance, license, payroll taxes, etc, etc, etc..."
Arrrrrrr nothing gets my blood boiling more than that. I have worked so hard to become a contractor and made many sacrifices. So many of us have. I have heard electricians complaining allot through out the years about how bad they have it, I don't think it was that bad. So for all you ungrateful guys. Us contractors do allot and pay allot to keep you employed. I understand it's a two way street, If you have a good boss and company that you work for, then take care of them, and they will take care of you.

peter d

Such is life in the world of electrical work. There are not many barriers to entry into the electrical trade so this type of thing is commonplace. How many heating systems and A/C units are installed by side jobbers working out of a pickup with only hand tools and no material? Not too many.

growler

sparky 134 said:

Ask him if there is some good reason why a customer would want to pay him $300 more than the next guy. If they are going to hire an illegal side worker why not get the cheapest one ( welcome to bottom feeder heaven).

vegasmark

maybe you electrical contractors should park your golf carts, fish your pda out of your sport coat pocket, and look up the average cost of living in your area. now compare that number to what your guys are actually bringing home each month. the majority of electricians that i know HAVE to do side work in order to pay the bills and feed their families. the trend in my neck of the woods seems to be that contractors are hiring younger guys and illegals to do almost all residential and commercial work, paying them half or less per hour than what i and most of my work buddies require in order to survive. if contractors would pay their guys what they're worth instead of focusing on the bottom line, there would be less competition from side work. you think i like to spend my evenings and weekends working?

Minuteman

peter d said:
Such is life in the world of electrical work. There are not many barriers to entry into the electrical trade so this type of thing is commonplace. How many heating systems and A/C units are installed by side jobbers working out of a pickup with only hand tools and no material? Not too many.
Try to buy a furnace or some Freon at Home Depot or Lowe's. :rolleyes:

480sparky

peter d said:
Right...but when it comes to wiring a hot tub they have everything you need. ;)

No, not everything. But they'll be able to cobble something together (like a bare ground wire) to make it work. And they'll be all happy & proud about it.

Whenever someone says they can hire an unlicensed hack, I simply reply that my insurance will cover me. Can the hack say the same thing?

JohnE

Certain people will always want to hire a side jobber rather than a legitimate contractor. It's their nature. They think they are getting a deal. I've heard countless stories where they've paid a side jobber more that I might have charged.

With that said, many side jobbers can do it cheaper that I can and do a safe job. They simply have lower operating costs. Not to mention they often are not paying taxes on that income.

crossman

The other thing you can't get at Home Depot is the proper electrical permit for the job.

But you think the ECs have it bad? What about the legitimate painting contractors? Heck, anybody can be a painter! So count your blessings!

growler

crossman said:
Heck, anybody can be a painter!

That's no really true, it's what many people believe includeing some general contractors. I have been on a couple of up scale remodeling projects where some cheap "Hack" painters really ruined the job.

I guess you don't need to be very smart to be a painter but to get good at it requires considerable practice.

jmsbrush

vegasmark said:
maybe you electrical contractors should park your golf carts, fish your pda out of your sport coat pocket, and look up the average cost of living in your area. now compare that number to what your guys are actually bringing home each month. the majority of electricians that i know HAVE to do side work in order to pay the bills and feed their families. the trend in my neck of the woods seems to be that contractors are hiring younger guys and illegals to do almost all residential and commercial work, paying them half or less per hour than what i and most of my work buddies require in order to survive. if contractors would pay their guys what they're worth instead of focusing on the bottom line, there would be less competition from side work. you think i like to spend my evenings and weekends working?
Good electricians are paid well around here and they keep their jobs. No matter how much you will pay someone, some people will always want more and say its not enough. Thats just how it is. Not all of us contractor's are wearing the sports jackets either. You would be surprised how many are struggling, if they were to be honest, hoping and praying for the next job to come in so they can provide a living for everyone.

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
Good electricians are paid well around here and they keep their jobs. No matter how much you will pay someone, some people will always want more and say its not enough. Thats just how it is. Not all of us contractor's are wearing the sports jackets either. You would be surprised how many are struggling, if they were to be honest, hoping and praying for the next job to come in so they can provide a living for everyone.

I don't see too many builders driving around in rusted-out '84 Mazda pickups, though. :cool:

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
I don't see too many builders driving around in rusted-out '84 Mazda pickups, though. :cool:
Lol thats very true 480Sparky. Image is a very important thing. I'm financing my work van. I had nice logos put on, got a nice ladder rack that locks my ladder in. It looks good. Around 5 months ago a large company approached me and wanted me to start doing some small jobs from time to time. Going to peoples house's and doing Small jobs. They wanted to see my van. They wanted to see my image. If I had some Heep of junk out there they wouldn't have given me the work. They just didn't want that as a representation of there company. I cant blame them.

resistance

vegasmark said:
You know what!? I'm sorry to hear you have ran into that pay my bills later, under pay my electricians, but buy my boat first kind of owner. But don't come here stereotyping! I work my butt off just to stay in business!!! If you are working for a person with this kind of personality, then you should move on! Trust me!!!

480sparky

jmsbrush said:
Lol thats very true 480Sparky. Image is a very important thing. I'm financing my work van. I had nice logos put on, got a nice ladder rack that locks my ladder in. It looks good. Around 5 months ago a large company approached me and wanted me to start doing some small jobs from time to time. Going to peoples house's and doing Small jobs. They wanted to see my van. They wanted to see my image. If I had some Heep of junk out there they wouldn't have given me the work. They just didn't want that as a representation of there company. I cant blame them.

Of course, 'image' can backfire as well. You can pull up to an estimate and the first thing the person thinks is, "Well, I ain't gonna hire this guy. He's going to charge me an arm and a leg just to make his truck payment...."

jmsbrush

480sparky said:
Of course, 'image' can backfire as well. You can pull up to an estimate and the first thing the person thinks is, "Well, I ain't gonna hire this guy. He's going to charge me an arm and a leg just to make his truck payment...."
So far I havent had that problem , Thank the Lord! So should we take out the hammer and put a couple of dints in ? Or throw some mud on it? JK.

Status
Not open for further replies.