Tankless water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
IMO, I doubt anything will melt. OCPDs are meant to prevent that.
I guess you don't do much service on apartments and condos with 100amp service and a fully loaded panel. I replace melted Mains, service and much more over the years. The only thing that saves is when folks have removed load from the original build such as a heater or two and switched to pellet stove or propane. Main breaker is not meant to survive a long and continuous load near the max breaker setting.
IMHO and experience

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I guess you don't do much service on apartments and condos with 100amp service and a fully loaded panel. I replace melted Mains, service and much more over the years. The only thing that saves is when folks have removed load from the original build such as a heater or two and switched to pellet stove or propane. Main breaker is not meant to survive a long and continuous load near the max breaker setting.
IMHO and experience

How do we know this isn't just poor installation practice and age? I'd hope equipment can actually survive being loaded to 80% of its rating indefinitely.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Typically services are loaded to 1/3 to 1/2 the NEC load calcs.

Not sure how much is here relative to the main however.
Says who, When you have a all electric house with many large loads it probably is not a issue. You have here a 17kw water heater, Electric dryer, electric heat pump. Highly probable that those things are running at the same time. As you indicated the Main at the building may see some diversity. However the loads we are speaking of are hard on equipment. That is why they are looked at as continuous loads. I doubt the service is rated to accept the additional load as buildings are built at the lowest code compliant price.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
What did the tankless heater replace? Did each unit just have a normal electric tank water heater?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What did the tankless heater replace? Did each unit just have a normal electric tank water heater?
There is a good chance that the hotel used one or more large common heaters for groups of rooms. Not so desirable for apartments where utilities need to be separated.
There may or may not even be space for individual tanked units.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There is a good chance that the hotel used one or more large common heaters for groups of rooms. Not so desirable for apartments where utilities need to be separated.
There may or may not even be space for individual tanked units.
Yes , Yes , The OP states these are all electric apartments.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Says who, When you have a all electric house with many large loads it probably is not a issue. You have here a 17kw water heater, Electric dryer, electric heat pump. Highly probable that those things are running at the same time. As you indicated the Main at the building may see some diversity. However the loads we are speaking of are hard on equipment. That is why they are looked at as continuous loads. I doubt the service is rated to accept the additional load as buildings are built at the lowest code compliant price.

Code still lets you size service conductors at less than 100% in dwellings.

Dryer will draw closer to 20 amps, and cycle on and off after about 15 minutes of run time.

How many kw is the heat pump? I'm assuming emergency heat.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Continuous loads are not any harder on the electrical system than non-continuous loads.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
How about the utility? EVEN IF somehow you can get the premise wiring to accommodate these 17kw heaters, can the utility transformer handle them? Imagine at certain times of the day when multiple occupants are taking showers, or washing clothes. The utility transformer might have a say in this. I am not a fan of large electric tankless simply because too many people don't understand the infrastructure needed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Oh, just change out the entire service and meter pack, replace every panel and feeder. Nothing major, LOL! (Two story, 40 units)
Might be more cost effective to leave the existing feeders alone and just add another feeder for the new loads. It is going to be expensive no matter what though.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How about the utility? EVEN IF somehow you can get the premise wiring to accommodate these 17kw heaters, can the utility transformer handle them? Imagine at certain times of the day when multiple occupants are taking showers, or washing clothes. The utility transformer might have a say in this. I am not a fan of large electric tankless simply because too many people don't understand the infrastructure needed.
It would not surprise me at all if the utility left the existing transformer and service conductors under their control in place.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Continuous loads are not any harder on the electrical system than non-continuous loads.
Yes and no, Frame size of a 15, 20 , 30 , 40, 50 amp breakers I have seen way too much failures on water heaters, electric heaters, and others that are operating long and continuous loads. There is heat build up and that creates a compounding failure. However my 40+ years of experience means nothing.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes and no, Frame size of a 15, 20 , 30 , 40, 50 amp breakers I have seen way too much failures on water heaters, electric heaters, and others that are operating long and continuous loads. There is heat build up and that creates a compounding failure. However my 40+ years of experience means nothing.

Experience can be just as important as book knowledge. Out in the field one can start to see patterns which are unshakable. I believe you. Bolt on breakers exist for a reason. However, at the same time, electrical equipment should survive continuous loads at least to some degree.

kwired

Electron manager
You seeing these failures in the first five to ten years after initial installation very often? Many such failures I encounter are equipment at least 20+ years old, with occasional earlier failure that can possibly be attributed to installer failures, bad environmental issues, etc.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Went out there today, yep, it was a 17 kw. Turned on all of the faucets and the shower. Second stage on water heater never turned on. Turned off the second stage breaker, tried it again, water still plenty hot. Noticed all new faucets, they had put in low flow fixtures. I’m just going to leave them on the one 40 amp circuit. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.