Taped Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwong

I was taught to tape my receptacles in commercial work and to tape my wire nuts for exposed work. Should have I not been taught this?

Next question: what do you do for an underground (christi) splice?

brian john

kkwong said:
I was taught to tape my receptacles in commercial work and to tape my wire nuts for exposed work. Should have I not been taught this?

Next question: what do you do for an underground (christi) splice?

Taping receptacles for me is a case by case like in an old work box for sure, taping wire nuts for me is not an issue, as explained over numerous pages this is a personal thing (and in some cases REAL PERSONAL), under ground splices I utilized a 3-M under ground splice kit.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am involved mostly in industrial work. having seen a fair number of wire nuts break loose, probably from vibration, I am inclined towards the no wire nut rule for splicing where vibration is an issue. I like the crimp on wire nuts though. They don't come off.

I have seen a fair number of wire nutted splices with black tape on them where the tape was harder to get off than the wire nut.

I know of some electricians who routinely tape wire nutted splices, and then put a wire tie over it when using wire nuts in high vibration areas.

I don't like splices at all. I have spent way too much time hunting them down when they fail. But a lot of my experience is on machines where vibration can be an issue.

lpelectric

Fire Alarm said:
So an inspector is the next evolutionary step up from contractor?

I think if you look at post #16, you'll see that the rest of wbalsam1's post was about running out of tape. A joke. Out of tape....out of work.....don't need tape to be an inspector....ha ha....a joke...:grin:

kkwong

Thanks, Brian. Personally, I've never liked taping my wire nuts unless there are mitigating circumstances. The recep's made a little sense but not much. Could it be that (with the exception of the NEC) most of electrical is personnal preference?

brian john

AS has been stated we are beating a dead horse here, but I have worked a long time in many environments and I would think (but I could be proved wrong). If a wire nut vibrates off, tape would be of little help. Unless the wirenut was not installed properly or a wirenut was the wrong choice for the application.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
I thought wire nuts were designed to eliminate tape and solder. I never tape them. I don't even twist the wires. If installed correctly they don't come off.

lpelectric

dlhoule said:
But according to the instructions posted for Marc's light fixture, you are supposed to start taping 1 foot from the connection.:grin: :D

Starting the taping so far from the connection is a wonderfully clever way for the tape companies to meet their projected profits while needlessly consuming the earth's natural resources. :grin:

wbalsam1

wirebender said:
Just to keep the fire ants out.:D

That's a great idea. Fire-ant red-colored tape for those superhot connections. And of course, black for those low smoldering ones. :smile:

Maybe the 2014 code will address it like this:

Taped Wirenut Connection. A taped wirenut connection shall have AFCI and GFCI protection and shall be made with listed and labeled materials.
Exception: when the connection is performed by a unqualified installer who hasn't received training and inspected by an unqualified inspector who has received payola. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.