This is why electronic meter are so dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

My sentence was not related for meter explosion but for the fact the utilities don't say anything about defective meter
So what's your concern there? Sounds very much like the utility's problem that would have nothing to do with the customer.

You seem to be working very hard to find any reason to justify your opinion instead of looking at reality in order to determine if your opinion is warranted.

schlum

So what's your concern there? Sounds very much like the utility's problem that would have nothing to do with the customer.

You seem to be working very hard to find any reason to justify your opinion instead of looking at reality in order to determine if your opinion is warranted.

I'm done, you don't believe me, that's ok, i explain the theory, the construction of the meter, i found real incidents and explain when it will happen. You need more proof, for the moment, i don't have any other proof. Time will give me reason.

Rampage_Rick

To USA electricians, Canada does strange things. Like mounting panels sideways and having meters inside residences.
I can count on one hand the number of sideways panels I've seen. Also, that inside meter thing is weird too, might be a Montreal special. Here in BC the meters are always outside unless there's a dedicated electrical room.

schlum

I can count on one hand the number of sideways panels I've seen. Also, that inside meter thing is weird too, might be a Montreal special. Here in BC the meters are always outside unless there's a dedicated electrical room.

Just a few exemples

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8vOmL44C7sQNllyQXMxb1JYNWc&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8vOmL44C7sQUWtNQzlhcENfNEE&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8vOmL44C7sQWlQwTHhSZnVFWWM&authuser=0

JRW 70

Occupation
Testing and Engineer
Statistics

Statistics

In our system we have approximately 40,000
of these meters. I have used my infrared scanner
on the outside of the meter can, and also used my
key to open the can and scan. This was during the
summer under (for my place) the highest demand
time of the year. NO heating beyond ambient plus
a few degrees.

Now back to the statistic, once again the failures were
from loose lugs, bad clip tension on the meter prongs
and only a small group of defective meters that the
the primary failure was in the remote reading circuitry.
(usually caused by lightning or surges caused by large
load drops on the system before the regulators could
respond)

I probably have a greater risk of being run over by a car
where I live than my remote-read meter exploding.

There are risks and dangers in almost everything.
You just have to do the best you can

JR

Last edited:

Besoeker

I probably have a greater risk of being run over by a car
where I live than my remote-read meter exploding.
About 90 time more likely to be a road traffic accident fatality than your electronic meter having a reported fault causing a fire according to the link our friend posted. Fault, not fatality - his link states that there have been no reported fatalities.

There are risks and dangers in almost everything.
You just have to do the best you can
JR

You are right of course. The electrical field possibly/probably poses more risks than others of serious consequences. We put procedures in place to mitigate those risk but incidents still happen. Mostly down to human error one way or another rather than equipment failure. I've known of couple, one of which caused very serious personal injury to a customer. You can beat yourself up over it. And I did. Should my warning labels, even though compliant with mandatory requirements, have been better? Placed differently? Been more of them? Could/should our instruction manuals and training have been better? Caused me lost sleep and still doesn't sit well.

On your point about risks and on a lighter and rather off topic (mods be kind)...
Professor Heinz Wolff was a writer, radio and television presenter and cultivated the archetypal "mad scientist" but actually a serious contributor in his field (bio engineering).
For one of the Sunday glossies he wrote an article about leisure activities and risk.
Turns out that fishing had the most injuries per incidence of partaking in the activity.

Besoeker

I have my doubts that recreational fishing would even be a thing without alcohol. :D
Dunno - not my thing. The fishing thing that is. At 21:00 here I'm currently sitting in my warm office enjoying a nice glass of Merlot rather than sitting freezing on the banks of a stream trying to disengage a barbed hook from my finger......:)

It was just a light hearted example of risk statistics. Kinda what I and others were trying to get across about the electronic meters to schlum.
Numbers. Good solid numbers. That's what you need to get a sense of perspective.

Much of what we do, particularly in our field, has attendant risks of varying degrees of severity. I would guess that a number of us have had shocks - hopefully not many as serious as my friend Taffy - 700Vdc is not benign.
That I worry about. The risk of exploding meters doesn't come remotely close.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Speaking of actual risk statistics versus perceived risk:
Several times more people are killed worldwide by pigs each year than by sharks.
But most people consider sharks to be more dangerous.

Besoeker

Several times more people are killed worldwide by pigs each year than by sharks.
D'you know, I quite like your posts and your contributions.
But maybe we are wandering a little off topic here.
Another subject for another day maybe?

JRW 70

Occupation
Testing and Engineer
Perspective

Perspective

Abstract thinking is always a good thing.
Thats what engineering is all about anyway.
Make something that no one has seen before
and sometimes it can be a great contribution
to society.

A little divergence from the normal day to day
thought processies is what makes things not
so mundane.

Solving a problem is always a good thing,
even if the inspiration comes from an
unlikely source.

JR

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

But still, I'd rather face a pissed off pig than a hungry great white shark any day. :D

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
D'you know, I quite like your posts and your contributions.
But maybe we are wandering a little off topic here.
Another subject for another day maybe?

hang on here a second.... as queen of the sideways thread drift,
i can assure you this thread is a MARVEL of focused discussion,
at least for here.

when poo was being flung, i didn't say a WORD about the poo
flinging abilities of the hippopotamus, who can put all of us,
including iwire, to shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jXMeo4a4k

schlum

Earthquake in our electric utility Hydro-Qu?bec. The president and CEO resign, the no 2 also resign and the director of the smartmeter project also resign. Not surprise at all, the smartmeter project was a complete fail and the meter itself is garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.