This is why electronic meter are so dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlum

Here in BC we've got Itron OpenWay smart meters. The standard 1PH 200A meters have the disconnect option (Itron C2S0D) I believe that the contactor operation is timed to occur at zero-crossing of the AC waveform. The contactor itself can be seen here:

My friend saw the video and said that they replaced the first 250,000 meters because the digits were disappearing after 1 or 2 years in place. Itron modify the rectangular base plastic plate and enlarge the pink band that you see at the bottom of the display (3mn 16s.) to correct the problem. Lot of time and money lost to replace those meters

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

FWIW, this looks to me like a bit of a dodgy website. You can find sites that will support just about any conspiracy theory you can come up with. "What they don't want you to know!", etc. That's the downside of living in the "information age"; anyone can post anything they want irrespective of whether there is any truth to it.

gar

Occupation
EE
150214-1402 EST

schlum:

Your reference is of no real value. There are invalid implications, comments from people with no technical knowledge, and implications that distort the real facts.

My electric costs have gone down as a result of my smart meter. Even though I had been monitoring my usage with a TED 1000 system prior to the installation of my smart meter I was not making a great effort to reduce energy use. After the smart meter was installed I realized that it could help the average user reduce their energy consumption, and, thus, I started writing a set of notes on use of the smart meter for this purpose. As I was writing the notes I employed some of the techniques I was suggesting, and these worked. Generally I reduced consumption by 25%.

TED is not a high precision device, but it correlates within about 5% of the smart meter.

I do not think you are using good analysis techniques to support your arguments.

Some government entity does not need a smart meter to monitor your short time average energy consumption. I don't need a smart meter to know whether someone is home or not, and a smart meter may not be effective in this determination.

Apply some logical analysis to some of the sensational statements that were made in your reference. There was no evidence that smart meters cause health problems. Just indirect claims, or implications.

There are possible health problems because one has been told there are, therefore, they mentally create the problem, and in turn they may actually become sick because they think they are sick.

Do some real analysis on your own to prove what you are saying.

schlum

150214-1402 EST

schlum:

Apply some logical analysis to some of the sensational statements that were made in your reference. There was no evidence that smart meters cause health problems. Just indirect claims, or implications.

There are possible health problems because one has been told there are, therefore, they mentally create the problem, and in turn they may actually become sick because they think they are sick.

Do some real analysis on your own to prove what you are saying.

6 months after the smartmeter was install at my home, my mother had breast cancer, her head bed is 4 feets near the meter outside, coincidence ?
I don't think so

schlum

Excuse me, but you don't know me and you have no freaking idea how "up to date" I am about anything.

""this looks to me like a bit of a dodgy website""

i just answering your statement that is dodgy website but this news is all everywhere on many websites. So yes you're not up to date

gar

Occupation
EE
150214-1519 EST

schlum:

6 months after the smartmeter was install at my home, my mother had breast cancer, her head bed is 4 feets near the meter outside, coincidence ?
I don't think so
That is not proof. Certainly it is coincidence. You can not scientifically proof something by a simple coincidence.

schlum

150214-1519 EST

schlum:

That is not proof. Certainly it is coincidence. You can not scientifically proof something by a simple coincidence.

I know it is very difficult to prove but there is too many complaints about health problems all around the world to be just a coincidence.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
""this looks to me like a bit of a dodgy website""

i just answering your statement that is dodgy website but this news is all everywhere on many websites. So yes you're not up to date

Where is that ignore button? Ah yes, there it is. Goodbye.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I don't think so

My wife developed cancer yet our meter was electromechanical. Now we have a smartmeter and, thank God, she is still cancer free. Causality? - I don't think so.

schlum

I'm no medical expert but 6 months probably is not enough time for this to be the sole cause.

My mother is 96 years old so her immune system is now very weak and the doctor said that in a 2 months period, the nodules has doubled size. Or maybe her cancer was in latency and the emf wake up the cancer or act as an accelerator.

iwire

Staff member
Or maybe it is a side effect from being almost a century old?

How do you address the fact that for the past 100 years or so humans have been exposed to more and more radio, microwave and magnetic waves yet during that same period our life span has increased.

Using the same logic you have been expressing here the answer is obvious, those waves extend our lives. :thumbsup:

You should be thankful your Mom is still here at 96 years old, my dad passed away from cancer in his 50s. We did not have a smart meter back then so I can't figure out how he got cancer.

Rampage_Rick

My mom passed away from breast cancer in Nov 2013 at the age of 57. Her smart meter was installed about a year prior. Do I believe that microwaves had anything to do with it? Absolutely not!

For starters, all the research I've done says non-ionizing radiation CAN'T CAUSE CANCER! This is why you can get cancer from ultraviolet light (which is classified as ionizing radiation) but you can't get cancer from, say, green light (which is non-ionizing radiation) It comes down to basic physics...

Secondly, if radio frequency did cause harm, it's not the 0.6 watt transmitters on smart meters that are going to be the main culprits. I'd be looking at the 50,000+ watt transmitters used for things like weather/aircraft radar, radio stations, etc. These have been around since the '50s and earlier, and nobody has found any correlation with harm. (and yes, there have been countless studies) Don't give me any BS about analog vs. digital waveforms either, since most digitally encoded waveforms (QAM, PSK, etc) look look and act almost identical to analog waveforms.

Oh, and lastly, I should mention that my mom was diagnosed a year before the smart meter was installed. She fought the good fight for two years and the addition of a smart meter had zero effect on the outcome.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Oh, and lastly, I should mention that my mom was diagnosed a year before the smart meter was installed. She fought the good fight for two years and the addition of a smart meter had zero effect on the outcome.

Sorry about your mom, cancer is not fun when you are poisoning your body all the time.

Anyway, radio waves, if they do cause cancer?. will not necessarily effect everyone. Sought of like saying my dad smoked till he was 90 before he died from old age.

I am not saying pro or con in this debate because I don't know the effects. I do know there are a lot of people complaining of effects from the radio waves- how real that is IDK. I am of the mind that it is possible to have adverse affects on others but I don't really know.

I was asked , on one job, to please turn my cell phone off. No problem...

Besoeker

Sorry about your mom, cancer is not fun when you are poisoning your body all the time.

Anyway, radio waves, if they do cause cancer?. will not necessarily effect everyone. Sought of like saying my dad smoked till he was 90 before he died from old age.

I am not saying pro or con in this debate because I don't know the effects. I do know there are a lot of people complaining of effects from the radio waves- how real that is IDK. I am of the mind that it is possible to have adverse affects on others but I don't really know.

I was asked , on one job, to please turn my cell phone off. No problem...
There are a few times when I have been asked to do that or there have been notices to that effect that one must do so.
One was on jury duty. Understandably so.

We'd been out and back in. While out, I'd made and taken a few calls and simply forgot to turn it back off.
Of course it rang while I was in court. Stuff happens. Obviously the electromagnetic radiation gave me brain fade............

I was given a reprimand by the prosecution lawyer who was in full sway. Of course, I graciously accepted the reprimand.
But a little time later his went off.............Stuff happens......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.