This really grinds my gears...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

Went back to a regular customers house to change out some light fixtures, I inadvertently tripped a gfi protected circuit so I went to the basement to reset the breaker, I notice right away all the steam humidifiers I wired were gone and a brand new system was installed and wired, so I asked the owner who did the job and she replies so and so heating contractor.

They ran two brand new circuits for the equipment and wired it all up for her. I just let the owner know they should not have done the work and she was pretty surprised. Anyone else deal with this problem?

electricalperson

stickboy1375 said:
Went back to a regular customers house to change out some light fixtures, I inadvertently tripped a gfi protected circuit so I went to the basement to reset the breaker, I notice right away all the steam humidifiers I wired were gone and a brand new system was installed and wired, so I asked the owner who did the job and she replies so and so heating contractor.

They ran two brand new circuits for the equipment and wired it all up for her. I just let the owner know they should not have done the work and she was pretty surprised. Anyone else deal with this problem?
sounds like the heating contractor might of been cheaper on the electrical part of it. was it done correctly or does it look like a plumber done it?

stickboy1375

electricalperson said:
sounds like the heating contractor might of been cheaper on the electrical part of it. was it done correctly or does it look like a plumber done it?

The problem is, if the owner new that she needed an electrician she would have called us, the money was not an issue, and yes it looks a step above a DIY person did the work (aka a plumber / heater contractor) :smile:

There were some obvious violations. but I didnt open anything up.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Actually here in CA an A/C contractor can run the electrical for his equipment, including a new branch circuit, under his license, an electrical contractor is not required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do you know for certain that the heating company does not have an electrical license also or that they hired a qualified ec. I have seen both situations.

electricalperson

stickboy1375 said:
The problem is, if the owner new that she needed an electrician she would have called us, the money was not an issue, and yes it looks a step above a DIY person did the work (aka a plumber / heater contractor) :smile:

There were some obvious violations. but I didnt open anything up.
maybe the homeowner didnt really know she needed an electrician. maybe the contractor decided to do the work without really explaining what he was going to do. i would be more angry at the contractor than the homeowner if the homeowner was unaware of the electrical work

480sparky

Some HVAC contractors are also ECs. There's a lot of Plumbing/EC, Plumbing/HVAC and HVAC/EC outfits that have two flavors of crews.

Many HVAC techs are also licensed to perform such electrical work.

cschmid

Happens regularly around here..HVAC guys will not hesitate to run their own wires if they can..cheaper for them that way..

Some do have Electricians on staff and others do not..

not perfect but it happens sign companies are also like that..

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
In GA it is legal for an HVAC contractor to pull a permit and install any type of electrical circuits related to the equipment they are installing. Do they possibly allow this in your area?

abe72487

Idaho HVAC

Idaho HVAC

In Idaho there is a specialty license that HVAC can apply for and take a test for this license. They can work downstream of the disconnect. Most HVAC guys around here have a Specialty Electrican on staff.

iaov

Had a call this winter at a restaurant. Breaker kept tripping. When I checked things out I found they had 2 refridgeration carts,4 heat lamps, a large exhaust fan running all the time. Breaker tripped when they turned on the mcrowave!!Duh! I explained to the owner that she needed another circuit or two. She wanted me to install a larger breaker. I refused of course. Went in there for dinner one night and asked the owner if she was ready to have me install some new circuits and she told me the problem was fixed!! She told me,and I quote,"I know an electrician who doesn't have to worry about losing his license so he fixed it for me." I was to pissed to ask what he did. Wonder what her insurance agent would say about that.:smile:

480sparky

iaov said:
...She wanted me to install a larger breaker......

My response to requests like this is:

"Think how much faster you can get where you're going if you disconnect the brakes on your car."

emahler

iaov said:
Had a call this winter at a restaurant. Breaker kept tripping. When I checked things out I found they had 2 refridgeration carts,4 heat lamps, a large exhaust fan running all the time. Breaker tripped when they turned on the mcrowave!!Duh! I explained to the owner that she needed another circuit or two. She wanted me to install a larger breaker. I refused of course. Went in there for dinner one night and asked the owner if she was ready to have me install some new circuits and she told me the problem was fixed!! She told me,and I quote,"I know an electrician who doesn't have to worry about losing his license so he fixed it for me." I was to pissed to ask what he did. Wonder what her insurance agent would say about that.:smile:

i would've gotten up and left...no way i'm eating in a tinderbox...

480sparky

emahler said:
i would've gotten up and left...no way i'm eating in a tinderbox...

I've refused to eat in a lot of restaurants. Not becuase of any electrical violations, but because I've worked in their kitchens and have had the opportunity to see them. The health inspector would not be happy......

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
I've refused to eat in a lot of restaurants. Not becuase of any electrical violations, but because I've worked in their kitchens and have had the opportunity to see them. The health inspector would not be happy......

I try not to think about it, I doubt any are very clean.

Jim W in Tampa

480sparky said:

I seen one like that too and i was scared i slip and fall in all the grease on floor.Before seeing that i thought it was a fine place.On other time i needed some fast help with a copy machine and seen a kitchen clean as you could ask for.

JohnJ0906

480sparky said:

My thoughts exactly.

electricalperson

my favorite part of working in a resturant or other food place is opening a celing tile and getting hit in the face with a dead rat :rolleyes: those resturants i never want to visit again

Status
Not open for further replies.