This really grinds my gears...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

brantmacga said:
In GA it is legal for an HVAC contractor to pull a permit and install any type of electrical circuits related to the equipment they are installing. Do they possibly allow this in your area?

In IL we don't need an electrical license so ya know there's a lot of crap around here! I came across an HVAC tech installed heating unit that was running on emergency electrical heat. I noticed that the 8/3 romex running to the unit was warm to the touch. I took an amp reading and found it was pulling 39 amps! I went to the unit and found, obviously, that the circuit was undersized so I corrected the situation before the house burned down. :cool: Whew! That was a close one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Electron_Sam78 said:
I noticed that the 8/3 romex running to the unit was warm to the touch. I took an amp reading and found it was pulling 39 amps!
Continuous ratings aside, #8 NM should have no problems with carrying 39 amps. We put 10kw heat on #6 all the time.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
In WV, to do electrical you have to be licensed through the State Fire Marshall. WE have 4 classifications.( Apprentice, journeyman, Master and Specialty)
The speciality has 5 types( HVAC, Electric Sign, Single Family dwelling, Low voltage-Fire and burglar alarm system and Elevator. Each one has different qualifications. The master license allowes the person to do all of the classifications. Some HVAC contractors do have people with either a Journeyman license or a HVAC license.

tmbrk

Electron_Sam78 said:
In IL we don't need an electrical license so ya know there's a lot of crap around here! I came across an HVAC tech installed heating unit that was running on emergency electrical heat. I noticed that the 8/3 romex running to the unit was warm to the touch. I took an amp reading and found it was pulling 39 amps! I went to the unit and found, obviously, that the circuit was undersized so I corrected the situation before the house burned down. :cool: Whew! That was a close one.

Do you guys in that part of the state have to be licensed at the county or municipal level?

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
This really grinds my gears...

what-grinds-my-gears.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Electron_Sam78 said:
I noticed that the 8/3 romex running to the unit was warm to the touch. I took an amp reading and found it was pulling 39 amps!

8/3 NM is rated 40 amps, what am I missing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
Continuous ratings aside, #8 NM should have no problems with carrying 39 amps. We put 10kw heat on #6 all the time.

Sure #6 for 10kw because 10000/240= 42 amps. 125% of 42=52.5 but if the unit is pulling 39 amps then the wire should be sized at 125% which would be 48.5 amps. I believe a #6 is necessary with NM cable

cschmid

Sweat TV program Bob..Now that you are a super star can you give your long lost family some cash..I like my in fifties and tens..make that a large cow hide, I mean leather sack full...:D

I believe most poco's are using 208 on residencial due to costs..
10000/208=48.07 or 49 amps, 49*1.25=61.25 this is a #6 awg and maximum load on a #6 awg = 65 amps @ 75 degree

Electron_Sam78

tmbrk said:
Do you guys in that part of the state have to be licensed at the county or municipal level?

Yes, the municipality requires electrical work on additions or new construction to be signed off by a city licensed electrical contractor. The city gives a 2 hour, 100 question, open book test on the NEC with a minimum passing grade of 72 percent. It costs $100 to take and you must maintain a $40 a year deposit plus $5 per each inspection that you had the previous year.

Dave_B

stickboy1375 said:
The problem is, if the owner new that she needed an electrician she would have called us, the money was not an issue, and yes it looks a step above a DIY person did the work (aka a plumber / heater contractor) :smile:

There were some obvious violations. but I didnt open anything up.

ANY Trade that doesn't execute work professionally grinds my gears. I am the administrator and resident journeyman for my HVACE company. Whether it is the drywaller covering my outlet boxes , the previous electrician running romex outside to the condenser, or the poor refrigerant piping of the previous HVAC contractor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
Can you animate it? Make Peter's mouth move, shuffle the papers, have the gears turn? :D

Would you buy it then? :D Probably but it would take awhile. I might give it a try. The mouth may be hard for me. I know a little photoshop and taught myself image ready so...

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:
Would you buy it then? ....

I will, but I've already gotten quotes from 17 other 'animators' I found on Craigslist and from the signs on the sides of beat-up old pick-up trucks. I haven't checked to see if any are licensed & insured, and I really don't care if they are.

I just want my animation done for less than 50?. And by this afternoon, please. :D :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
I just want my animation done for less than 50?. And by this afternoon, please. :D :D
Let's see: that's cheap and fast, so good is definitely out of the question.

Okay, for your four bits, you'll receive five hand-drawn images on paper that you quickly hold up in front of your monitor, one after the other, every time one of your posts appears.

Oh, I almost forgot: postage and handling is $1.47.

Status
Not open for further replies.