Tile guy says he does it all the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4T

I roughed out a bathroom and used all deep boxes and left slack in the wires so the carpenter can nail boxes up center of tile course..

Now I get a call from the GC that the tile guy wants me to just hang the wires and he will cut in old work boxes on the finish.. :eek:

This has disaster written all over it.. OW boxes are great for drywall but not drywall and tile.. not enough length for the clip to catch..

So I want to buy a laser level that shoots on all four walls.. I am meeting the GC on Saturday.. what do you guys recommend for a good laser..

I hate when guys say.. "I do it all the time".. to me it means you do it wrong all the time till I see it on someone else's job..

stickboy1375

I roughed out a bathroom and used all deep boxes and left slack in the wires so the carpenter can nail boxes up center of tile course..

Now I get a call from the GC that the tile guy wants me to just hang the wires and he will cut in old work boxes on the finish.. :eek:

This has disaster written all over it.. OW boxes are great for drywall but not drywall and tile.. not enough length for the clip to catch..

So I want to buy a laser level that shoots on all four walls.. I am meeting the GC on Saturday.. what do you guys recommend for a good laser..

I hate when guys say.. "I do it all the time".. to me it means you do it wrong all the time till I see it on someone else's job..

Have to love tile guys. :)

mkgrady

My laser level is made by gizmo. I like it a lot. To use it I put a drywall screw at the exact height I want the laser line. Then I simply hang the tool on the screw. It will also shoot a red dot straight up like an upside down plumb Bob. You can lay out your work on the floor and transfer the dots to the ceiling.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Use these boxes they are good for tile.:thumbsup:
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com...single-gang-adjust-a-box-wall-box-602042.aspx

602042_front200.jpg

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

hilti pr 26 is what i have, but it's a bit pricy. they are excellent tho...

get some 1/2" vinyl tube and some food dye, and make a water level.... it'll get you done for $5.

B4T

You could just draw a level line across the room, usually what i end up doing...

I could.. but having a self leveling red line to follow just seems easier since the tile guy is "challenged" already..

I have a laser.. but it only shoots (3) walls.. having 360 degrees just makes the job easier to follow for him..

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

ritelec

not enough length for the clip to catch..

I picked up one from HD a couple years ago... about 400+ bucks. Worked well for construction I had to do and couple odd things afterward .......... The line on it is alittle thick though so you would have
to note that, if your getting very critical (mark top or bottom of the lazer line). (just looked on line, was the laser and stand misc...package, I don't see something comparable ...but anyway)

I would suggest a clear 3/4 " or 1" hose from the hardware store with water in it............water level.......works very very well and isn't 400+ dollars.

Are madison bars code?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That is what I have.. but I want 360 degrees without moving the laser..

His tile is going on all the walls and I have boxes on every wall..

If you make a few bench marks on the wall you can move the laser after you set the first row of boxes.

Gac66610

What about cutting a pipe (or board) to desired length set pipe on wall plate or floor place box on top nail box move to next, if all your boxes need to be same height.
of course this is assuming the floor or plate are level,
I'm started to lean towards colored water and clear hose

ritelec

Doesn't have to be colored water.............you'll see the water line.

Also............use a pencil.............every 1/16 or 1/32 or 1/64 makes a difference to anal retentive people like myself.

While I'm talking pencils.......I can't believe how some guys lay out with sharpie markers that aren't so sharp.
While I'm talking markers.....I can't believe how guys lay out with markers on pipe.....finish up and there's marker markings all over the pipe.........Common ......ha ha ha :thumbsup:

Last edited:

480sparky

What about cutting a pipe (or board) to desired length set pipe on wall plate or floor place box on top nail box move to next, if all your boxes need to be same height.
of course this is assuming the floor or plate are level,

You can never assume the floor is level, even in new construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.