top 5 electrical troubleshooting tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Another tip: When trying to find a problem, and you see something else wrong, but "gee, that can't cause the symptoms, I will fix it later after I solve the "real" problem", most of the time you have found the real problem, you just can't see how this can cause the symptoms. Fix problems as found.

kwired

Electron manager
Number one thing you need is to understand basic electrical theory, why things do what they do, and how a change in a circuit effects the performance of that circuit. You can learn how to take current and voltage measurements but they do you no good if you don't know what they really mean to your application.

Next most important thing is to know something about the item (other then electrical theory) you are troubleshooting. This may be simple with some things, but get into an industrial process - you better understand some things about the process or you will be lost in your troubleshooting as well.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
One thing that I feel that is important is to only make one change at a time. If you make more than one at a time it is difficult to know which one corrected the issue.
Sometimes, yes, but sometimes it's not important which thing you did fixed it. Sometimes it's more important just to get it fixed and get on to the next task, especially when the verification process to test it and see if it's fixed is time consuming.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Sometimes, yes, but sometimes it's not important which thing you did fixed it. Sometimes it's more important just to get it fixed and get on to the next task, especially when the verification process to test it and see if it's fixed is time consuming.
That may be true in an industrial application where you need to get the line back up. I think that if a lamp wasn't working and you turned off a breaker, replaced the bulb in a lamp, put a new receptacle in and reset the breaker and it works, you've done a disservice to yourself and the client when he asks you what was wrong and you say I don't know. You may have gotten the light working again, but you could still have a bad cord that causes it to go out again and you don't really know why it wasn't working. Just my two cents.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That may be true in an industrial application where you need to get the line back up. I think that if a lamp wasn't working and you turned off a breaker, replaced the bulb in a lamp, put a new receptacle in and reset the breaker and it works, you've done a disservice to yourself and the client when he asks you what was wrong and you say I don't know. You may have gotten the light working again, but you could still have a bad cord that causes it to go out again and you don't really know why it wasn't working. Just my two cents.
As I said, sometimes... :D

J.P.

I do a lot of troubleshooting in commercial buildings.

#1 Don't outsmart yourself. ALWAYS check the simple stuff first.
Follow the flow of power.

#2 Listen to what they say ( and don't say ) Then check it all for yourself. Even if you have been assured that everything was done correctly.

#3 If you are stumped make a phone call and bounce a few ideas off somebody. Sometimes you will figure it out while you are describing the problem to them.

#4 Make sure your phone is charged before you call tech support........

#5 Be patient and use your head. They say that our brain separates us from animals, or was it our thumbs? Monkeys have thumbs and brains, I wish I had a monkey as a helper sometimes. Then again sometimes it seems like I do. I wonder if a monkey would have to wear a hardhat or if they would work for peanuts? I need to see how much a truck load of bananas cost, what if he has a nut allergy?

#5 Be patient and stay focused:)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I used to hate when the solution would come to me in the middle of the night.:sleep:

I still hate it when I'm looking right at what's wrong and can't see it. A lot of my troubleshooting is or was on stuff that didn't get turned on until I turned it on.
And it was wired by someone else.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Best fault finding tip.

Don’t listen to others, sort it yourself.
Not necessarily true. Someone else wired this kitchen remodel and at the same time they were trying to keep the kitchen working. So while no drywall the sink and all the appliances still were being used. So they tell me that there's a dead short and that the lights and some receptacles and the dishwasher don't work. Ok those aren't all tied together so we have a couple of things going on. Find a problem and fix it, still a dead short, look around some more find another problem, fix it, still a dead short. Find another (obviously someone didn't know what they were doing). Find one more thing, still a dead short. OK going home, I've been here several hours. Laying in bed thinking, he said this doesn't work, this doesn't work, dishwasher doesn't work. DISHWASHER! Show up at 7:00 in the morning, disconnect dishwasher and every thing is fine. They had shot 220 to it at some point during the other problems and had fried the motor, but I had kind of discounted it at the time.

So yes listen.

keith gigabyte

Always be methodical

Always be methodical

I consider myself an above average troubleshooter. When guys that you think are pretty good trouble shooters come to you for advice I think it's ok to say to yourself I'm a good troubleshooter. 23 years experience..best advice I can give is. listen. To Customer/machine operator. Then start simple fuse, breaker, main feed. Then cut in half. Work toward or backwards as appropriate. Alway start simple. Every once in a while Like last week. I fell into the trap. Customer had non working gfci. Said this breaker feeds it. Customer reset but still no power. Looked at outside gfcis basement gfcis figuring all were on same circuit. Secondary review of breakers..found one tripped nowhere near the. One they said..reset all ok then customer said oh yea we had clothes iron and shop vac plugged in then it stopped working.

Cant win win em all I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.