TR replacement Newsletter Opinions Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think/opinion of the statement below?? Even though I like the way they enforce it, as a 'technicality' I do not believe the statement I put in red is actually 'legal' according to the 2008 NEC. I believe EVEN if there is no grounding means (using non grounding type receptacles) you are STILL required to have the TR receptacle when replacing them, which means you would have to get a TR gfci with a label of 'no equipment ground' since to my knowledge no one makes a TR non grounding receptacle. Their 'Exception' is not valid.

newsletter said:
 New/Replaced Receptacles On An Existing Residential Branch Circuit Must Be Tamper-Resistant
NEC 406.11 requires all dwelling unit 125 volt 15 and 20 ampere receptacles to be tamper-resistant. If an existing branch circuit is extended to allow for the addition of a new receptacle(s), the newly installed receptacle(s) must be tamper-resistant. Except when using a non-grounding type receptacle, receptacles that are replaced in an existing circuit must also be tamper-resistant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree there are no exceptions and there is no TR 2 wire receptacles that I know about. This means GFCI TR recep. to replace a 2 wire unit . Of course you may be able to use a TR GFCI and then use 3 wire TR receptacles downstream.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I find this exception (by local ordinance) an interesting thing.
. . . Except when using a non-grounding type receptacle . . .
I had a conversation with the Leviton customer service department a few weeks back, and they went out of their way to assure me that Leviton had absolutely no plans to make a TR non-grounding type receptacle.

Has anybody sourced a TR non-grounding type receptacle?

M. D.

Not me,.. the NEC .. and yes for the most part,.. any receptacle in the areas specified in 210.52 are required to be TR.

Davis9

There is a specific Article 406.3(D)(1)(2)(3) dealing with Replacement receptacles, it is very specific and it does not mention any other requirements to follow.

Tom

iwire

Staff member
thats fine for a local ordanace, but the NEC does not require Tr for replacements

IMO the NEC clearly requires TRs, there are no exceptions listed in 406.11 referencing 406.3(D). 406.3(D) does not have anything to do with TR requirements only grounding issues.

Would you say that 406.3(D) also eliminates WP requirements if the replacement is outside?

M. D.

I guess its interpertation, I don't see it that way (sorrry!!)

In all areas specified in 210.52 all 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

And here I thought this was one of the most straightforward requirements ever written :confused:

iwire

Staff member
There is a specific Article 406.3(D)(1)(2)(3) dealing with Replacement receptacles, it is very specific and it does not mention any other requirements to follow.

I agree it is very specific and it does not mention any other code sections to ignore which is the standard practice of the NEC.

For example there is a specific exception listed in 406.3(A) that allows 406.3(D) to happen.

cpal

IMO the NEC clearly requires TRs, there are no exceptions listed in 406.11 referencing 406.3(D). 406.3(D) does not have anything to do with TR requirements only grounding issues.

Would you say that 406.3(D) also eliminates WP requirements if the replacement is outside?

I'm saying the Code is not retroactive, replacing an existing item with a lke item does not make an existing installation worse than it was before you started.

Just my opinion

But you do have a good point regarding WP

Davis9

It tells us to make it GFCI protected that's all. IMHO if TR was to be required retro as GFCI then it would have been mentioned in this article.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.