Trade Terms that should go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

Good luck! However I do agree with #3 certainly, "bond wire" would clear up a lot of confusion, IMO. What would you suggest for alternatives for subpanel?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Highest on my list would be the phrases "normally open," normally closed," and anything similar.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
JohnJ0906 said:
What would you suggest for alternatives for subpanel?

How about - panel?

Even now in the NEC, the only "special" panels are those at the service.

kc8dxx

charlie b said:
Highest on my list would be the phrases "normally open," normally closed," and anything similar.

I work with hydraulics on occasion. Normally Open in the Hydraulics world means the oil is flowing. Normally Open in the Electrical world means the electrons are not flowing. Drives me nuts.:grin:

paul

charlie b said:

Or at least get the terminology on the same page. Some say NO refers to the energized state, while other manufacturers have them for the de-energized state. :mad:

paul

monkey said:
How about forbidding non electrical people from using the word "short".

Oh, come on now. You mean you don't care for someone telling you that their lights don't work because "there is a short somewhere in the wire? Probably a loose wirenut." :-?

stickboy1375

paul said:
Oh, come on now. You mean you don't care for someone telling you that their lights don't work because "there is a short somewhere in the wire? Probably a loose wirenut." :-?

Especially when its just the bulb...gotta love that one...

celtic

monkey said:

No way.... the look on a person's face when you say "I'd be happy to check your shorts" is priceless :grin::grin::grin:

blue spark

charlie b said:
Normally shut......
I love it when I shout to one of the guys "I need a 3 inch nipple!"
My boss calls a service head a martian helmet.

celtic

blue spark said:
Normally shut......
I loce it when I shout to one of the guys "I need a 3 inch nipple!"

You could drive a helper batty telling him you need a 119 1/2" long nipple :grin:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
paul said:
Or at least get the terminology on the same page. Some say NO refers to the energized state, while other manufacturers have them for the de-energized state. :mad:

Most of the time you end up having to guess from context what it really is. Drawings will often show a NC contact that is really a NO held closed because the drafter is too lazy or ignorant to draw it correct.

We should use the terms as it applies to the device as it sits in the box,i.e.-to the switching element itself, and not what happens when it is installed.

ceknight

monkey said:

I just automatically substitute the word "shortcoming" when I hear a customer say "short". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.