TV Remote Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It can change the macro - by you telling it that the macro did not work - it will change an option or two... e.g. Like assuming the TV is always on channel 4 when you might change it at another time.... It would delete the number signal for 4... There are a few options given to the remote to be presented in the help mode...
These are things that are addressed during setup, when you test the remote during upload, and tweak the settings. I've never used the Help button during programming.

But like I said before being too quick to put the remote down before the macro is completely sent, or if there is a delay in a component while switching mode to mode - this can completely throw a system off kilter.... One missed command....
Or if someone uses another remote or the component's switch. Those are all the things the Help button is for in normal operation.

Anyway - George needs to get and stay on one channel rather than be switching source to source then channel at the TV. Easy way to eliminate the problem... Do it at an AV reciever or VCR, or some other central device, and use whatever that item is for tuning unless it is a cable box...
I'm a firm believer in a central pre/pro or receiver, and a single cabling method to the monitor/projector. You'd be suprised how often I've heard "But the receiver reduces signal quality!"

I counter that argument with "You're watching and/or listening to a recording, aren't you, and not a live performance? Isn't that the ultimate signal degredation?!"

Golden-ears. :roll:

Or if you can go to advanced programming and add an additional belated command to go to channel 4... If it goes the first time it will go there twice - if it doesn't you'll get to go on the second try... ;) (you can't have that second #4 command too close or it will go to #44.... So there will need to be a pause between them...)
Now you're just making George cross-eyed. :)

electricmanscott

I'm a firm believer in a central pre/pro or receiver, and a single cabling method to the monitor/projector. You'd be suprised how often I've heard "But the receiver reduces signal quality!"

I just bought a new TV and blu ray player. In order to simplify things I also bought a receiver. HDMI from blu ray to receiver, HDMI from cable to receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV. Simple. The receiver passes the signal through un modified.

Next up. Probably a Harmony 900.

If anybody is watching standard def tv and regular dvd you should really see some good high def tv (nat geo, discovery, etc) and some blu ray.

mkgrady

I just bought a new TV and blu ray player. In order to simplify things I also bought a receiver. HDMI from blu ray to receiver, HDMI from cable to receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV. Simple. The receiver passes the signal through un modified.

Next up. Probably a Harmony 900.

If anybody is watching standard def tv and regular dvd you should really see some good high def tv (nat geo, discovery, etc) and some blu ray.

In my situation, my customer is going to use just the TV speakers for sound. I will have to run an HDMI cable from the DVD to the TV and the cable box to the TV. Other than being able to skip one of the HDMI cables would you agree the receiver adds nothing to this setup?

electricmanscott

In my situation, my customer is going to use just the TV speakers for sound. I will have to run an HDMI cable from the DVD to the TV and the cable box to the TV. Other than being able to skip one of the HDMI cables would you agree the receiver adds nothing to this setup?

I would agree.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think it would probably boggle the minds of the audiophiles here that not only did I not replace the surround sound in my house when it popped, not only do I have my tv hooked up to my Combo tape/DVD player through a crummy rf converter, not only do I not own or desire a blu-ray...

I don't have cable or dish either. I have fox and CBS over the air, and that's it. If I want to watch SNL, the daily show, whatever, I just open up the 19" laptop and hunt for it online. Think about that picture and sound quality. :D

I can set up a remote, and I can set up quite the home theater system. But at my own home I could care less.

I was all excited to get my parents system set up awhile back. I set up hdmi and composite side by side and could not tell the difference. That day shot my excitement about a/v right squarely in the head. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.