Urine powered generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I came across this article about teenage girls in Africa who unveiled a urine powered generator. Has any one heard of this before- it seems too good to be true esp. for developing nations. What do you think? The quoted part came from here

Four African girls have created a generator that produces electricity for six hours using a single liter of urine as fuel.
So how exactly does the urine-powered generator work?
  • Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
  • The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
  • The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
  • This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.

__dan

Banned
I came across this article about teenage girls in Africa who unveiled a urine powered generator. Has any one heard of this before- it seems too good to be true esp. for developing nations. What do you think? The quoted part came from here

The hydrogen could easily be sourced from a chemical reaction activated by water or urine. The hydrogen would essentially be already stored and released in the reaction. The process would be exhausted when they run out of reactant, not when they run out of urine. There's a wide range of reactions that do this, aluminum reacts with something that produces hydrogen and then the aluminum gets reprocessed / restored.

Since they're running a reciprocating engine, they're probably producing CH4, methane, and not H2. H they would run into a membrane reactor fuel cell for electricity.

Raw sewage can be dried and the dung input as fuel into an electricity generating turbine. The dung burner has been done. There's also lots of manure digesters, producing methane that is used to power reciprocating engines and steam turbine generators.

If nothing else, they're doing a good job promoting economic interest in an area that needs more capital and technical investment.

mivey

I came across this article about teenage girls in Africa who unveiled a urine powered generator.
It looks like it is a school science project, not a new invention that will save the world. Urea, pig poop, and many other biomass type processes are already being tested and developed. This is just an over-hyped story that catches the attention of the world much like the famous 100 mpg carburetor that is secretly being kept from the public.

Has any one heard of this before- it seems too good to be true esp. for developing nations.
That is because it is. There is a basis in fact. You can indeed generate electricity from urine. But what makes it hype is the way the story is being presented/perceived: as if you can form a line at the local outhouse with a string of generators next door.

Think about it: 6 hours on one liter of urine? Imagine the power you can get from one liter of gasoline. Now imagine the power you can get from one liter of urine. It should indicate that there are a lot of missing details about the story.

Can it work? Of course. It is not new technology.

Are you going to have one in your bathroom to power your home? No.

Will this provide the power for a small village? That would depend on the needs of the village. A village that has no electricity now would have very minimal electric need. I could imagine that a small village could "contribute" enough to power a small device. But enough to satisfy a collection of electric devices like a normal modern person might need?: No.

What do you think?
Based in fact but over-hyped.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A village that has no electricity now would have very minimal electric need. I could imagine that a small village could "contribute" enough to power a small device. But enough to satisfy a collection of electric devices like a normal modern person might need?: No.

The "minimal electric need" that I think is very relevant is cell phones. To folks in many African countries, charging a cell phone is not only extremely valuable but also extremely difficult. People are paying the equivalent of many dollars per kWh to charge their phones at kiosks that may be miles away from their home. Since a cell phone only requires a few dozen watt hours to charge, and a charged cell phone is worth quite a lot to people, it's the kind of thing where people in small village might see the value in using a technology that requires only on their own local "contributions."

It would be interesting to do the math and see if one person's urine can provide enough electricity to charge their personal cell phone on a regular basis. (Of course the company running the cell towers cannot do the same.)

Other than that, I don't disagree with anything you said. At best, this technology would serve as a stepping stone towards people using more electricity from more conventional sources.

Last edited:

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Hmmm, one of the commenters on the original link perhaps put it best :

"You would generate more electricity by /urinating/ into an impeller and generating electricity like a waterwheel. Of course, as with all things it’s the thought that counts ..."

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
That would be Watt-seconds. Nit, nit, nit, SWAMP! :D

I've had this argument before -- amp-hours is a much better unit for battery storage since there are issues with the difference between the charging and discharging voltages. Using watt-hours can make it seem that energy is being "lost". See Peukert's Exponent for a more detailed conversation.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I've had this argument before -- amp-hours is a much better unit for battery storage since there are issues with the difference between the charging and discharging voltages. Using watt-hours can make it seem that energy is being "lost". See Peukert's Exponent for a more detailed conversation.
Actually my nitpicking was over his calculation for Watt-hours which would have yielded Watt-seconds instead.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
And ... the original nitpick by was incorrect because I was referring to the watt hours of energy from the generator required to charge the battery, not the charge of the battery. (And, in any case, there's nothing wrong with referring to the energy stored in a battery in terms of watt hours, when appropriate. Amp hours means nothing if you don't know the voltage of the battery, which in this case we don't, because it's a hypothetical battery!)

I was going to let it go, but it seems this thread won't die. :happyno:

Besoeker

Energy is certainly lost. There are conversion losses in both parts of the charge/discharge cycle.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Energy is certainly lost. There are conversion losses in both parts of the charge/discharge cycle.

Yes, energy =is= being lost, however the amount of energy lost is based on the rate of charge and discharge due (in large part) to changes in voltage elevation or depression.

The more consistent measure of capacity is amp-hours. This comes directly from the half cell reactions and the amount of material available to store charge. If you look at battery monitors (TriMetric and PentaMetric from Bogart Engineering, FLEXnet DC from OutBack), that's the method they use -- amp-hour counting. You'd have to know the entire history of the charge and discharge cycle to know the state of charge if you use watt-hour counting.

Besoeker

Yes, energy =is= being lost, however the amount of energy lost is based on the rate of charge and discharge due (in large part) to changes in voltage elevation or depression.

The more consistent measure of capacity is amp-hours. This comes directly from the half cell reactions and the amount of material available to store charge. If you look at battery monitors (TriMetric and PentaMetric from Bogart Engineering, FLEXnet DC from OutBack), that's the method they use -- amp-hour counting. You'd have to know the entire history of the charge and discharge cycle to know the state of charge if you use watt-hour counting.
I take your point but the purpose of a battery is to store energy, energy that is available to do work.
Take electric vehicles for example. The stored energy is converted to mechanical output to propel the vehicle. The Ah does not tell me what that energy is but stored kWh does. And that's the figure that EV manufacturers generally give.

From various sites:

Tesla Roadster - Battery 53 kWh (Lithium-ion battery)
Nissan Leaf - 24 kW?h lithium ion battery

Wiki
One article indicates that 10 kW?h of battery energy provides a range of about 20 miles (32 km) in a Toyota Prius, but this is not a primary source, and does not fit with estimates elsewhere of about 5 miles (8.0 km) /(kW?h).[21] The Chevrolet Volt is expected to achieve 50 MPG when running on the auxiliary power unit (a small onboard generator) - at 33% thermodynamic efficiency that would mean 12 kW?h for 50 miles (80 km), or about 240 watt-hours per mile. For prices of 1 kW?h of charge with various different battery technologies, see the "Energy/Consumer Price" column in the "Table of rechargeable battery technologies" section in the rechargeable battery article.

mivey

If you look at battery monitors (TriMetric and PentaMetric from Bogart Engineering, FLEXnet DC from OutBack), that's the method they use -- amp-hour counting. You'd have to know the entire history of the charge and discharge cycle to know the state of charge if you use watt-hour counting.
Amp-hour counting will not keep up with the battery state of charge either.

Status
Not open for further replies.