USE-2 in PVC Schedule 40 conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

m73214 said:
Don......I know the coax is bonded at the service point of the main building but I never see the coax bonded again at a second building. The installs I see just run the RG6 to an ungrounded splitter in the second building and go from there. In that scenario would the coax still be considered a parallel path? If so, how?

It will be at the TV,trust me as an x tv tech

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
augie47 said:
George:
No one has mentioned this, and I may be mistaken (seems I am more often now that I'm officially ancient), but is URD not a "covered" conductor for utility use...
That would vary from utility to utility, wouldn't it?

Why couldn't you use service entrance cable for connecting to a utility for a service?

...and technically not an insulated conductor allowable under NEC rules?
From the UL White Book:
Both the insulation and the outer covering, when used, on single and multiconductor Types USE and USE-2, are suitable for use where exposed to sun.
I can't find anything on "URD"; it seems the UL refers to it as "multiconductor USE cable". But the cables are listed for use as conductors.
From the UL White Book, Page 245 (PDF 283):
Type SE cable contains Type RHW, RHW-2, XHHW, XHHW-2, THWN or THWN-2 conductors. Type USE cable contains conductors with insulation equivalent to RHW or XHHW. Type USE-2 contains insulation equivalent to RHW-2 or XHHW-2 and is rated 90?C wet or dry.
This info can also be found in the UL March 2006 Wire & Marking Guide, Page 43 (PDF 46).

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
It will be at the TV,trust me as an x tv tech
So Jim, you are saying that in a TV set, the neutral is bonded to the chassis? Most TV's I see are two prong plugs. And if that's the case, wouldn't we have parallel paths in all two wire TV situations regardless of location be it at the building with the service entrance or the detached building?

Jim W in Tampa

m73214 said:
So Jim, you are saying that in a TV set, the neutral is bonded to the chassis? Most TV's I see are two prong plugs. And if that's the case, wouldn't we have parallel paths in all two wire TV situations regardless of location be it at the building with the service entrance or the detached building?

Actually yes.My TV work started in 68 ended in 82 but there were many problems over some of the sets that were polarized and owners unwittingly changing the plugs.Not too sure with the new sets.But i do see where your headed and agree.Many of the old cabinets were bonded to neutral.

th111447

Guys I have one last question. When the LB comes thru the wall with the XHHW-2 conduit does it have to be conduit in the wall? The location where my LB enters the house is about 18 inches from the hole on the main panel where I need to pull the wire thru Can the XHHW-2 be in between the wall for 18 inches to the main panel without conduit?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
th111447 said:
I was planning on running 1/0 URD from my house to my pole barn located 125 ft away to install a sub-panel in the barn. I've dug the trench and there is a lot of rock so I'd like to put it in conduit.

This reply is late in the game, but I think the fact that there is a lot of rock has been overlooked, and that simply putting the cable in the conduit is not the fix all.

I think it needs to be pointed out that the rock can pose a problem for non-concrete encased PVC conduit. Especially where it will be buried in a location where traffic or heavy equipment will be driven over it.

352.12 says it is not acceptable for use where subject to physical damage.
Going back then to 300.5(D)(4) and 300.5(F), provisions need to be made for protection of the cable and conduit.

Rocks and other debris can cause damage to the point that they penetrate the conduit, piercing the insulation, and ultimately causing failure of the cable. Hence the NEC requirement for clean fill material around the conduit, not just in the bottom of the trench.

th111447

KingPB I understand the issue you responeded with. I will use sand to address this issue. What about the last question I posted:

Guys I have one last question. When the LB comes thru the wall with the XHHW-2 conduit does it have to be conduit in the wall? The location where my LB enters the house is about 18 inches from the hole on the main panel where I need to pull the wire thru Can the XHHW-2 be in between the wall for 18 inches to the main panel without conduit?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Urd

Urd

stickboy1375 said:
I've used URD many times... it's not a problem...

May not be "a problem" , but I still contend it's not code compliant unless the URD also carries a USE, RHW, or similiar recognized building wire cerification.
URD, as stand alone prodect, is a utility distribution wire and not recognized by the NEC as a building wire (note 310.8) and should not be allowed on an installation covered by the NEC.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Augie, whenever I ask for "URD" from the supply house, the deliver out three conductors of USE-2 twisted together from the factory.

Is there something else that you get when you ask for URD?

I'm guessing I'm the victim of local slang or something.

wireman3736

The definition of UD is underground distribution, the definition of URD is underground residential distribution, If I ask for urd 3 wire I get xlpe/use-2, gnd wire 2 times smaller then the two phase wires, If I ask for urd 4 wire when I'm doing mobile homes i get xlpe/use-2, gnd ground conducter 2 times smaller then the nuetral and two phase wires, URD is not the insulation. direct burial or in conduit in my area. I prefer to put in conduit due to frost and alot of rocks in vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.