Utility Cut-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, grow up. forget this 'North vs South' thing you seem to have in your head.

Here is an example of a dangerous electrical installation in FL. God Help You:roll:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99333

Does it mean that all electrical work in FL is bad?

I am not the one that closes threads when i dont like what i hear.
Are you saying you see no problem in the OP
As for what goes on in Miami you need visit the area, i refuse to work there. I feel sorry for him.
My opinion is just that, what i see in op is not typical poco work. Why so much tape ?

peter d

My opinion is just that, what i see in op is not typical poco work. Why so much tape ?

Are you drunk? :confused: Really, that's a serious question.

Did you miss the part where many poco's allow an electrician to make up the taps?
Are you actually asking why Burndy's are taped up so much? As if more tape than less is a problem? :confused:

JES2727

Very often in this area, which is the same general area as the OP, the power company does not replace the service conductors to the connection point when the service is upgraded. They don't have to, and they know the house will probably not pull anywhere close to 200 amps anyway. If they're not replacing their wires, they're surely not going to stop by just to replace some split bolts!

Jim W in Tampa

Are you drunk? :confused: Really, that's a serious question.

Did you miss the part where many poco's allow an electrician to make up the taps?
Are you actually asking why Burndy's are taped up so much? As if more tape than less is a problem? :confused:

No i am not drunk are you blind ? So your local guys do work like this ? Thats fine keep up the great work. Please don't move to Fl we really don't need guys like you that see a roll of tape needed for a job like this

peter d

No i am not drunk are you blind ? So your local guys do work like this ? Thats fine keep up the great work. Please don't move to Fl we really don't need guys like you that see a roll of tape needed for a job like this

You still haven't pointed out an actual problem with this installation.

I don't see a wedge clamp used to attach the triplex messenger to the house knob and then all messenger conductors connected to the neutral. Rather it looks as one of the messenger conductors is threaded through the house knob and back wrapped. the wedge clamp is very strong for support of ice loads and tree limbs falling on overhead drops, strong enough to fold over a 2" rgc mast through eave.

Jim W in Tampa

You still haven't pointed out an actual problem with this installation.

OK lets try it this way, are you saying most where you live look like this ? In my 27 years of wiring i never seen any service to look like this. Can you show us any pictures of others done this way ? Yes if what ever is at the ends is tight then probably will work. Love that reduce neutral , but its poco side so its fine till it burns. When i do my own drops i use polaris blocks. But then i care about looks.

iwire

Staff member
I don't see a wedge clamp used to attach the triplex messenger to the house knob and then all messenger conductors connected to the neutral. Rather it looks as one of the messenger conductors is threaded through the house knob and back wrapped.

Not really, at least not likely. The power company here sometimes uses a section of preformed wire that laces into the messenger. It is very strong and will not let it drop.

Maybe one of of utility guys would know what it is called.

Davis9

I'd say it's temp, the only thing I don't like so much is that they left the ORIGINAL High press splice in the works. Suggests that it is temp. Problem is(at least here) it could be this way for a long time. Also if one of my guys used a Polaris tap for a service upgrade I'd be quite upset. I use either some clamps from the POCO or some Al but splices and Rubber tape. Sometimes I get lucky and buy a pile from a Lineman for a few bucks each.:D

Tom

peter d

OK lets try it this way, are you saying most where you live look like this ? In my 27 years of wiring i never seen any service to look like this. Can you show us any pictures of others done this way ? Yes if what ever is at the ends is tight then probably will work. Love that reduce neutral , but its poco side so its fine till it burns. When i do my own drops i use polaris blocks. But then i care about looks.

Man, you really can get ornery sometimes. :roll:

Yes, that's how things are done around here, all the time. As for pictures, I could get hundreds of them just by walking around my neighborhood.

You probably haven't ever seen it this way because you've never been outside of Florida.

PCN

100% of all split bolt connections I've seen in this type of application have one conductor coming in one side of the connector and one out of the other side.
You can make a much cleaner effective drip loop this way. In 30 years in this business I've never seen one done that way. If it is temporary who cares... if permanent that's a hack job IMHO.

Jim W in Tampa

100% of all split bolt connections I've seen in this type of application have one conductor coming in one side of the connector and one out of the other side.
You can make a much cleaner effective drip loop this way. In 30 years in this business I've never seen one done that way. If it is temporary who cares... if permanent that's a hack job IMHO.

Your risking being called a drunk LOL

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Just to throw my two cents in. I'm not sure there is anything quite "wrong" for sure but I also have never seen anything like it around my area. There is a standard looking splice (not really sure what kind honestly) and I never see any you know wrapped...

IMG_6318.jpg

I can see where Jim is coming from. There's a reason pic was posted because it LOOKS...you know hackish...

Status
Not open for further replies.