Violation or just sloppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think you will find any currently used aluminum conductor alloys that do require use of anti-oxidation compounds. Go back 30 years or more and almost all conductors required it. The habit of using compound just has been carried on by many - and because it is a habit many believe it is required. NEC does not and AFAIK did not require compound the conductor listing instructions is what required it.

Sure you can still find them. All the high-press lugs I just terminated on a job for Aluminum wiring were pre-filled with no ox compound. They came in the GE panel boards for the feeders througout the building. Not sure where the weak link is, why the compound is there, for the connector to wire termination.

kwired

Electron manager
Sure you can still find them. All the high-press lugs I just terminated on a job for Aluminum wiring were pre-filled with no ox compound. They came in the GE panel boards for the feeders througout the building. Not sure where the weak link is, why the compound is there, for the connector to wire termination.
You are talking about a connector I was talking about conductors.

Is possible to use a connector on old alloys, or some conductors used by utilities are not necessarily made from AA8000 (+) series alloys, NEC however does require these newer alloys in 310.106(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.