Well that was depre$$ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

Reread bikeindy's post, then reread mine. Please pay close attention to a couple ".

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation in this matter

bikeindy

emahler said:
How about the other guys employee who's doing sidework for your "customer"?

Most of the side work I think is ok is the friend and relationship side work I don't think a guy who is employed as an electrician by an EC should be also drumming up his own work. And I have no control over it anyway.

emahler

bikeindy said:
Most of the side work I think is ok is the friend and relationship side work I don't think a guy who is employed as an electrician by an EC should be also drumming up his own work. And I have no control over it anyway.

you have control over it...you just don't want to be bothered with it...that's ok, but don't justify it...

bikeindy

Well since Indiana has no state license requirement and few counties here require one just about anyone can do electrical work here. I can't chase down all the side jobbers, and a lot of them are making work for me.

Sparky555

We recently had some fence installed. One of the crew offered to install some more fence and would save us $300 over having his employer do it. I was going to call his boss & my wife told me to let it go. I thought it was no-class. To the employees on the forum who don't understand the problem with side jobbers...don't complain if you're laid off for lack of work...maybe someones doing your job for a little extra cash.

My Mom's in Florida. She has retired guys doing repairs around the house. They do it for a few dollars an hour to have something to do. These were guys who had careers in the 50s-70s with some of the best pay & benefits in history. Now they're working because they're bored. I feel sorry for any family man in the area trying to support his family at a level anywhere near what these retirees had when they were working.

Dave

powerslave

Sparky555 said:
We recently had some fence installed. One of the crew offered to install some more fence and would save us $300 over having his employer do it. I was going to call his boss & my wife told me to let it go. I thought it was no-class. To the employees on the forum who don't understand the problem with side jobbers...don't complain if you're laid off for lack of work...maybe someones doing your job for a little extra cash.

My Mom's in Florida. She has retired guys doing repairs around the house. They do it for a few dollars an hour to have something to do. These were guys who had careers in the 50s-70s with some of the best pay & benefits in history. Now they're working because they're bored. I feel sorry for any family man in the area trying to support his family at a level anywhere near what these retirees had when they were working.

Dave

Very well put.

iwire

Staff member
emahler said:
Reread bikeindy's post, then reread mine. Please pay close attention to a couple ".

Thanks for your anticipated cooperation in this matter

Would you feel better if I put it this way?

As for me If one of my guys is doing side work I don't care as long as it is not from a customer of mine. That will get you fired.

I was not aware a customer was any businesses property.

LawnGuyLandSparky

electricmanscott said:
I don't really care about side work one way or another, it is the American way and it is how I started out as did many here

BUT.....

Certain people who are members of certain organizations that expressly forbid side work in exchange for good wages and benefits still go out and do sidework in violation of their own rules.....

That I have a HUGE problem with and it goes far deeper than sidework

-You started out doing sidework.
-You state it is "the American way."
-You have a HUGE problem with those who did or do sidework who work under a collective bargianing agreement, but apparently hve no such distain for those who do or started out doing sidework who did not have any collective bargianing agreement, yet their respective former or current employers would fire them on the spot if they knew?

On a side note (no pun intended) bylaws are internal governances, and not part of any collective bargianing agreement between employers and employees. There are general templates, but officially, bylaws can be voted in and out of existance on a whim by the membership.

In short, the payment of good wages and benefits has nothing to do with the existence of a "no sidework" bylaw.

LawnGuyLandSparky

iwire said:
I could not agree more and they will be the first to raise a stink if the company they work for violates the smallest contractual obligation.

I could not disagree more. Generally the ones who raise the biggest "stinks" are the loafers and the uninspired column shadows. Not the industrious hardworking almighty sidejobbers...

iwire

Staff member
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I could not disagree more. Generally the ones who raise the biggest "stinks" are the loafers and the uninspired column shadows. Not the industrious hardworking almighty sidejobbers...

You may well be right, I can understand your point. The hard worker has better things to do with their time. :smile:

That still does not change my opinion that it is wrong for them to side job if they agreed to a contract that says not to.

'Column shadow' :grin: I like that, I have seen a few of those myself.

emahler

iwire said:
Would you feel better if I put it this way?

I was not aware a customer was any businesses property.

at least that takes away the hypocrisy of that statement...so yeah, I feel better.

iwire

Staff member
emahler said:
at least that takes away the hypocrisy of that statement...so yeah, I feel better.

If you have something to say, just say it. :)

I don't see any hypocrisy, 'splain it to me, maybe I will get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.