What's an inspector to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

Does an electrical inspector, acting in his jurisdiction, have the right to suggest to a homeowner (who has installed his own service entrance cable from point of attachment to main lugs of service panel, and which is now energized by the utility) to pull the electrical meter from its stabs in order for the homeowner to work deenergized in his home service panel to correct a violation that the homeowner committed?
(Feeder conductors are terminated with the service entrance conductors at the supply side main lugs of the main circuit breaker of the service panel and the feeders will need to be disconnected and protected by its own breaker on the load side of the main.)

peter d

In my area, that would never fly. Only poco employees and electricians who are on the poco's "cut and reconnect" list can pull a meter

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the inspector has to cite the violation, he should have no say in how the problem is solved. Telling a HO to pull a meter is bordering on insanity. If the HO burns the place down or blows himself up who will his Attorney be going after?

lordofpi

Around here, even an EC would not be advised to perform this practice. Is it that hard to schedule a disconnect/reconnect of service with the power company (and more to the point, get an EC involved ;) )?

romeo

What is an inspector to do?

What is an inspector to do?

infinity said:
IMO the inspector has to cite the violation, he should have no say in how the problem is solved. Telling a HO to pull a meter is bordering on insanity. If the HO burns the place down or blows himself up who will his Attorney be going after?

I totally agree, He should red tag the job,and advise the HO to call an electrician.

Rewire

Well not enough info here to make a good call, I have told homeowners to "pull " the meter before working on line side of a panel meaning call the POCO to do it. a statement like " You should have the meter pulled before you tighten those lugs" or " Pulling the meter would be needed before I would work on the line side" now these could be miss understood .

P

Physis 3

I'm a little confused, has the POCO reconnected the drop without an inspection?

Edit:

Isn't there a disconnect?

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Here 2 inspections would be done first before meter ever got set.First the county and second the poco.Never would had this problem as poco needs county release to apply power.Being that is not your case i would think you can suggest anything but not demand.What is scary is they got that far.Your job ends at passing or red tagging.Do what you must,rest is on the home owner wanta be electrician.If you have the authority ,and you should,then call poco and have meter pulled till it passes.This never should been turned on.Your the ahj.you need to change things.This not suggesting he cuts seal on his own.Many time i do cut seal but poco is told i did it.This is not a guy that should plug meter in on his own.He might be stupid but lets not kill him,we still need some ID 10 T'S

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The HO installed a new service entrance to a MLO panel. My guess is that he pulled the old meter and re-installed it.

growler

smallfish said:
Does an electrical inspector, acting in his jurisdiction, have the right to suggest to a homeowner (who has installed his own service entrance cable from point of attachment to main lugs of service panel, and which is now energized by the utility) to pull the electrical meter from its stabs in order for the homeowner to work deenergized in his home service panel to correct a violation that the homeowner committed?

He probably does have the right to suggest such an action, with a wink and a nod ( he can always say he didn't later ). But it would be better if he called the power company and told them to cut the power until it passes inspection. They were wrong to hook that sucker up before the inspection was called in.

If the meter is installed and sealed how is the inspector going to inspect connections at the meter socket? ;)

Jim W in Tampa

growler said:
He probably does have the right to suggest such an action, with a wink and a nod ( he can always say he didn't later ). But it would be better if he called the power company and told them to cut the power until it passes inspection. They were wrong to hook that sucker up before the inspection was called in.

If the meter is installed and sealed how is the inspector going to inspect connections at the meter socket? ;)
OP never said who pulled meter.As an EC i am sure many have cut seals ,changed panel,put meter back in and called inspection.Some might forget to do last part or simply cut drop and reconnect.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Jim W in Tampa said:
OP never said who pulled meter.As an EC i am sure many have cut seals ,changed panel,put meter back in and called inspection.Some might forget to do last part or simply cut drop and reconnect.

Who me? Never. no really honest, Okay maybe one or twice, or so:roll:

romeo

Whats an inspector to do?

Whats an inspector to do?

growler said:

Sounds like this job was done in a State where property owners are permitted to do electrical work on their property without a license.

That is true in Massachusetts, however I will not issue a permit or do an inspection if there is no license number on the application.

Now I bet that opens a can of worms. Maybe some Ma. EC would like to comment.

Jim W in Tampa

romeo said:
Sounds like this job was done in a State where property owners are permitted to do electrical work on their property without a license.

That is true in Massachusetts, however I will not issue a permit or do an inspection if there is no license number on the application.

Your doing a diservice to the puplic.Your forcing them to bypass you,is that really a good idea ?And you just might have opened yourself to lawsuit.

growler

romeo said:

How do you get away with this? They issue permits to homeowners here all the time, they don't like it but it's not a choice, it's the law. After about four trips and no real progress they will normally tell the HO to hire an electrician.

I don't think they like dealing with homeowners because they end up giving to much advice. It takes up a lot of time.

Jim W in Tampa

growler said:
How do you get away with this? They issue permits to homeowners here all the time, they don't like it but it's not a choice, it's the law. After about four trips and no real progress they will normally tell the HO to hire an electrician.

I don't think they like dealing with homeowners because they end up giving to much advice. It takes up a lot of time.
They dont need to take up time.Simply site number and walk out.Most places charge for reinspects so should be money maker.

celtic

romeo said:

If a HO permit is allowed by law...who are you to deny them?

Kind of like EI's who make up the code as they along to prove they are right :roll:

growler

Jim W in Tampa said:
They dont need to take up time.Simply site number and walk out.Most places charge for reinspects so should be money maker.

They don't like to charge a reinspection fee here and they really don't like to upset homeowners. I guess it's because homeowners have friends and relatives, they go to church, they have business contacts and they vote. Everyone has a boss and for most in government that boss is elected.

Just a thought.

mpd

the only way to handle it is, notice of violation and if it is a life saftey hazard it would have to be disconnected or if not the owner should be given appropiate time to make repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.